Neighbors dog was here, missing guinea

NancyP1

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 26, 2011
Upstate NY
Neighbor 3 places up the road has a young boxer mix. Knew it was just a matter of time until he got loose. It was here twice yesterday chasing my guineas all over. One is missing, I am hoping she is on a nest somewhere, but I doubt it. Its bad enough the people who moved in across the road a year ago have a horrible dog that has killed my birds, but now I have to watch for two of them! Man, why do these people even have dogs? The shepherd mix across the road does not get another chance at all....he has killed guineas, chased my horses, growled at my entire family and barks nonstop when he is tied out. The boxer mix from up the road will bark and growl when he is tied up in front of his house when anyone walks by, but at least that one ran off as soon as I yelled, but he didn't go home. He came back a few minutes later hell bent on those guineas. At least my rooster took my laying hens to the coop. I really hate the thought of shooting someones dog, but enough is enough.
barnie.gif

We have a lab that shares a fence with us. They have an invisible fence for him, but it seems like every day I am chasing him along with his little buddy out of my yard. My chickens are in a full enclosure so he can't hurt them, but it's a pain. He chases them up and down their pen. They also sit and bark at us the entire time we are in the garden. It drives me crazy. I have a Doberman and a shi tsu and they are always outside with us. They don't bark, and when they do we stop them. They are never left outside unattended. I don't know why people have dogs when they don't actually want to spend the time taking care of them. We have dogs that run the area freely all the time. It drives me crazy!

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

I understand completly! The constant barking from across the road drives me nuts! I actually feel bad for the dog! He is left tied out on a short chain, all day, and sometimes all nite too. He gets no attention at all. At night, it sounds like he is right under our windows. Animal control is this town is totally useless. Of the 15 or so times I have called her and filled out all of the paperwork, including the dangerous dog complaint..they have gotten one ticket. I let my guineas free range all day, all of my other neighbors love them, and dont mind them around. (plus I give the good neighbors eggs too, for putting up with the screaming demons!) I only let the chickens free range in the late afternoon until evening. I have no problem if the guineas go to their yard and the dog gets them. (I do know it would be my fault and would still feel bad) but what is the point of having them if they have to stay penned up? I got them to help control the ticks....we are loaded with them. I am so tired of irresponsible people!!!! My dog stays in the yard, even if I am not outside with him. He barks when someone pulls into the yard and that is it. It's his job! He does not bother my birds, goats or horses. I spend alot of time with him, and he is with out a doubt the best dog I ever had!

Neighbor 3 places up the road has a young boxer mix...It was here twice yesterday chasing my guineas all over. One is missing,... I really hate the thought of shooting someones dog, but enough is enough.

You are not shooting someones dog you are protecting your family and livestock.
Get a gun and shoot the dog (assuming you are knowledgeable in using firearms).

Last edited:
If you wanted to leave warning you could clip a copy of the 'dogs harassing livestock can be shot' law in your state/area - to the collar

that's only if the dog in question is people safe of course.

I can shoot, I own several guns. The recent dog belongs to a very old man, who is not going to be with us much longer. I think someone got him the dog for company. This man can barely take care of himself, let alone a dog. I think if he comes back, I will just try and catch him and take him to a shelter. The other dog that lives across the road from me does not get another chance. Shotgun is loaded and next to the door. Not sure if it has bird shot or a slug....dog better ask him self if he is feeling lucky. That dog has growled at my entire family more than once. It's over for him if he comes back here. The owner is a total jerk, I politely told him if the dog comes back, he won't be coming home. He proceded to tell me he will shoot all my animals. Animal control does nothing, sheriff has spoke to him several times. So now I am having some lumber cut, picket fence in the front and sides of the house, stock wire around the rest of the property as money allows. (with a little electric surprise inside!). I did get the dog once with a hot dog with a hot wire inside....I ran a piece of covered wire with the end stripped, across the yard, down the barn driveway and stuck the hot dog on the end. Dog went crying home and has been tied ever since.

Hope you find the bird.That is nice of you to give the old neighbors dog a chance. I would shoot repeat offenders.

Thanks. i walked by today, didn't see the dog. It is probably inside. I thought about going to the door, but that man has enough to deal with. He can barely walk. I hope he finds a home for the dog. He lives alone and I hardly see anyone there. Could probably be a nice dog with some attention and training. I also agree with shooting repeat offenders.

I walked out to garden and saw that the neighbors dog was in there again. Ruined some of my peas walking around. I hope he didn't bother my girls too much while I was at work. They didn't seem stressed, so I guess their okay. I'm getting really bugged by it though! I don't understand why have a dog if you don't want to take care of it and teach it how to behave!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

HAHA, Id attach it to the collar all right, of the very dead dog.
No dog will threaten my family and children or my chickens, cat or dog. LOL Ive been target practicing, and Im ready. The very sweet neighbors across the road, have a son who comes with a very trained aggressive hunting dog. Well this very trained dog, is very trained to KILL and CHASE .. they chain in the yard across thew road when he visits. It got lose one time last summer and treed my poor kitty and was just absolutely nuts. We chased it and beat it with a 2X4 and it wouldnt quit going after that cat. I cant imagine what he would do with a flock of chickens. I hope I am home the day he tries. I will be ready. He eventually ran off into the woods, after the cat was treed and his adrenaline rush was still going, and he heard a squirrel.
That warning will be clipped to his orange hunting collar, on his body, on their front porch.

If you wanted to leave warning you could clip a copy of the 'dogs harassing livestock can be shot' law in your state/area - to the collar

that's only if the dog in question is people safe of course.

Back
Top Bottom