neighbors dog.........

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MVchickens, Dec 23, 2010.

1. MVchickens

MVchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard MA
    Recently the new neighbors dog got 4 of my free ranging birds.... i dont want to confront him about it because he does not complain about my multiple roosters crowing in the early am.... any suggestions on how i could fix this or what i should do?

2. Q9

Q9 General Headache

Quote:You should probably let your neighbor know - after all, a crowing rooster is just annoying, the dog is actually destroying your property/pets. Be nice about it and he'll probably understand where you're coming from.

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    If your birds were on your property, the dog sure as heck shouldn't be. Remaining birds are also at extreme risk, now that the dog has a fix on them. Unless it is okay with you that more are killed, they need to be in lockdown till the dog situation is under control. I've seen the effect of dog attacks and it's not a good way to die.
    JJ

4. eggboy

eggboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    CA
    I agree with Q9.

5. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    While I agree that the dog should not be on your property at all I also think that you need to have a proper safe area for your chickens. You should fence their area so nothing can get them. It's up to you to protect your flock. There are plenty of other predators out there than will take free ranging chickens.

6. MVchickens

MVchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard MA
    I will go over there after the holidays and talk to him about it.. I have a secure predator prof area, i just hate to keep then in there all day...

7. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    we have dogs, our chooks are in a 20 x 10 run with coop attached. I'd love to free-range but we have hawks and owls around too, so I'd rather be safe than sorry..... Fence in your yard if you want to continue free-ranging and watch for the dog. If it digs under then it is up to the owner to take care of it. Can they not chain it in the yard? When you speak with him, offer a 6 or 12 pack of eggs, you may have a friend and ally for life....

8. spottedtail

spottedtail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Minnesota
    I agree with SarahBeth at post #5.

It should not be an automatic death sentence for your chickens just because the neighbor's dog
    is loose. Protect them against this event.

The lives of your poultry, in the end, depend entirely on the security YOU give them.
    Never rely 100% on your neighbors ability to keep their dogs at home.

spot

9. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    Quote:are you allowed roosters...?

we do... and any dogs that come into this property has to be able to outrun my 3 and a speeding bullet to get out...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by