Neighbors dogs and cats

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by gatorridgechics, Oct 10, 2012.

1. gatorridgechics

gatorridgechics Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2012
    Missouri
    I am sorry I am not sure where to post this it is a law question about predators...

My neighbor has several dogs that get away from them and come to my house to chase the chickens and harrass the goats, cow, and MY dogs. They also have an ever increasing population of cats that come at night and stalk. 2/3 of my chickens free range, and I understand if something gets them it can just as easily be blamed on me for not keeping them locked away. But where would I find laws about their dogs/cats killing MY chickens goats etc, and if there is anything I can do about it. Or would I? We live in the country in Missouri. Thanks in advance.

2. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

My suggestion would be to SSS (though many will disagree, which is fine).

Which county are you in, or which city limits are you in? Cities and townships in Missouri mostly have their own individual ordinances for the citizens.

3. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    Well I don't agree with the SSS until you have tried other methods of trying to talk to your neighbors and ask them to keep their dogs up! The cats I don't think there is much you can do about except trap and turn over to the humane society! My mom always said killem with kindness! And if that doesn't work then, tell them you are going to start calling animal control on their dogs~! I know where I live you have to keep your dogs on your property or you get fined!

4. gatorridgechics

Feb 29, 2012
    Missouri
    SSS? I am not sure what that means, I am guessing, but afraid I may be wrong and it could end ugly.

City and county ahh well I am one of the lucky ones the county, post office, UPS, and 911 can't agree on where we ACTUALLY live. Do I call the county court house since we are not in city limits?

5. DianaMallory

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    call your local humane society! SSS - Shoot them, Shovel them, and Shut up about them! Go to your county auditors office and give them your address and they can tell you exactly where you live .Do you pay property taxes or school taxes? They have to go somewhere! I have the same problem where I live. But I would try talking to my neighbors first!

6. DianaMallory

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    I had a neighbors dog come and try to get my girls but I knew the dog and knew that she was gun shy so I got a cookie sheet and a spoon out and banged them together and it sounds like a gun going off she ran away with her tail tucked and hasn't been back!

7. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    First off, check the Missouri Revised Statutes: http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/c273.htm

Particularly the portion that provides for an absolute defense if you judge that the dog is attacking you (they always look like they're about to do so if I catch them tearing up chickens).

Also, check for any specific County Ordinances and zoning issues (agricultural?) on dogs/cats (our County didn't formalize one until 2010 - prior to that, when it came up in County Commissioner mtgs. the usual consensus was "the farmers know what to do with them...")

I've had good luck informing neighbors that we always keep poison/leg holds/dead falls set out on our property (foxes and coyotes) and that we wouldn't want their pets to be killed (puts the onus on the owner).

8. gatorridgechics

Feb 29, 2012
    Missouri
    My neighbors an idiot who built a kitchen and lives in it with his wife, a snake, 5 dogs, and 4 cats. He does not work, and he does not clean his yard up and his trash blows into our yard. He takes his dogs on walks into the woods behind our house lets them off the leash and then stands there with his thumb up his butt while they chase our chickens. Infact we even had a sign up that said "No Tresspassing" and a "Beware of Dog" sign at the front of our property where our trail to the woods starts, shortly after he moved in both mysteriously "blew" down and landed with a heavy rock on top of them. Sure we live waaaayyy out in the country, but that is no excuse to be disrespectful to your neighbors. None of my dogs are out with out supervision, they do not go to the neighbors house they do not cross the line of the drive way. Ever. Yes I pay taxes with the county, I was mostly joking above. I pay taxes once a year with the county, the post office has my address in one city, UPS has it in another city AND county, and last year 911 asked me to meet them at the end of my road because they were lost. So I guess I will call the court house in the morning. Animal control will not come out here, and the humane society won't take someones pet from them if they can take care of them and they won't take any animals if they are full.

9. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Get your ladder and nail those No Trespassing signs on trees at about 15ft. (can still be seen easily). In this County Purple spray paint on trees along property line means No Trespassing. If you don't have a video cam. get one (I think most folks use their phones for that, now). When he's on your property, or the animals are on the property (dogs in particular) shoot video and call the Sheriff. Remember, it is not the responsibility of the owner of the land to determine WHAT an unknown dog's `intentions' are - if you feel threatened...well, there it is.

Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  10. gatorridgechics

Feb 29, 2012
    Missouri
    THANK YOU!!!!!! I just got done reading this. It is exactly what I was looking for. I will still call my local county office in the morning, but this will settle my head for tonight. And once I confirm it I will be able to take it with me to the neighbors. The last time we spoke, his wife's responce was "well those chickens look tasty to my dogs". I wanted to tell her that her cats look tasty to MY dogs, but I have been nice. I don't say anything DH handles it. While I do not condone shooting something your not going to eat, I will say, if it is between the health and safety of one of my animals or my son and THEIR dog I wouldn't have any trouble squeezing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by