Neighbor's dogs killed 16 of my chickens tonight.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Charlene, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Charlene

Charlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    I am SOOOOO mad. They got my 9 meaties (two weeks away from being processed), 3 layers, and some bantams. These dogs have been loose before and slip through the fence. The nieghbor's been warned and they don't do anything. They are so irresponsible. The worst is that two meaties weren't dead but very mauled. I had to shoot them, and I felt so bad for their suffering. I am so mad at these neighbors. I think it's in my right to bill them for one, but also shoot their dogs if they get on my property again. Not sure I have the stomach for that but the threat is there. We'll see.

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I am so sorry. You are within your rights to have them pay for the 9 organically grown chickens. I think that they must be worth at least 20.00 each.

3. lavandula girl

lavandula girl Chillin' With My Peeps

They have laws here that allow you to shoot dogs that harrass livestock. Where are you?

4. our 5 chickie babies

our 5 chickie babies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Hello! So Sorry about your loss..You should be within your rights to send them a bill and to shoot the dogs that did the damage.because if the owners don't take responsibility and try to help the dogs will just do it again the first chance they get. Good luck!!!!
    JIM&LINDY

5. Charlene

Mar 21, 2008
    I'm in unincorporated Santa Clara County, in the San Francisco Bay area. I have $200 into the chickens just raising them, so they will pay that, at least. I am tempted to charge them full market value for the meaties and the retail cost of the others. They have yet to show up at my door. The irresponsible cowards. I will at least threaten to shoot their dogs, but I might just haul them off to the animal shelter and make them pay to get them back.

6. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    arrgh, so sorry.
    I have heard people charge as much as $40 per chicken.
    I really love my electric fence. Are you able to hotwire your run? Dogs learn real quick when they get 'kicked' in the face by an electric fence. I have heard that it feels like you are getting kicked. Be sure to get a fencer that pulses for everyone's safety.
    I hope they didn't get ALL your chickens. Do you have any left?
    So sorry.

7. Charlene

Mar 21, 2008
    I have one BR (which of the four might be a rooster, argh) and 2 EE and 1 Dutch I was raising for my neighbor made it too. I will look into electric netting, I already have tape up for the horses so it wouldn't be that difficult. But of course I'd have to foot the bill. I could just scream.

8. Tylt33

Tylt33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    I'd hesitate in shooting an animal in the Bay Area, unless you were reallll comfortable with your knowledge of the laws. I'd bill them based on a reasonable cost (market value), and provide a receipt with your calculations. I'd also call animal control and have them pick up the dogs. If they're unlicensed and untagged, there's a decent size extra cost when you bail them out of puppy-jail.

9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Threatening is probably a bad idea....you said you already warned them. I don't think they need a second warning.

You SHOULD fix your fence though, at least make the dogs have to work to get in. Your OP sounded like they just slipped through the cracks.....

10. lauraleigh

lauraleigh Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2010
    I can't imagine how mad you must be. If it's hard to shoot the dogs, then consider a livestock guardian dog that will protect your flock. Now that these neighbor dogs have killed, I bet they'll be back for more. It's such FUN! In my opinion, they have now become Bad Dogs, and there's no hope of rehabilitation. If the neighbors won't do it, you will have to, whatever it is. I'm so sorry you lost all these birds, and even had to put down two yourself. I'd be raging furious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by