Neighbor's dogs killed 2 of my daughter's chickens (changed the title)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by fours2many, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fours2many

fours2many Songster

Feb 28, 2010
    Naples, Florida
    My neighbor, who has lived her for all his life (40 plus years) and thinks because he lived here all his life, doesn't have to follow rules, left his 2 pit bulls out a little bit ago. Loose in his unfenced yard. They came into my yard and killed my golden campine pullet and black silkie hen. All of the chickens and my pekin ducks are so traumatized. We were finding them hiding in the fields. Now they are huddled in a corner in their run.

My daughter ran out of the house screaming. She put herself in harms way and saved the rest of her babies. She chased those dogs down, and said a few curse words (bad ones too), then one turned towards her. I got there just in time. I stood in front of her and they ran off. We called the police. There is nothing they can do. I asked if I could shoot them, if they came back (we have a no firearm discharge law), he said yes. So my Dh is down talking to the neighbor now.

I drove down to the neighbors right after the incident, he denied it was his dogs...of course. He did say he would check them for blood. I didn't see blood on the chickens, just looks like they were shaken to death.

I have a dog, I am not a dog hater at all. I just wish other people would keep their dogs on leashes. I mean, are dog owners so lazy that they can't put a leash on their dog and actually walk them? I take my dog outside several times a day to do his thing. I also walk him every am, rain or shine. I blame the owner, not the dogs... I would hate to have to shoot an animal because the owner is so neglectful.

Last edited: May 31, 2010

2. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Songster

Why don't you call animal control or file a police report? Perhaps the dogs can be taken to animal control if your neighbor is disinclined to admit responsibility.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG] So sorry this happend. [​IMG]

4. arch_cpj

arch_cpj Songster

Mar 19, 2010
    medina county
    Ive said it before and Ill say it again put up an electric fence and a cattle weed burner fencer I have no patience for pitbulls and none for any mean dog Id of popped em and denied seein em...

5. arch_cpj

arch_cpj Songster

Mar 19, 2010
    medina county
    OH and take pics of em next time they are in your yard and then call the cops hand it to em and force em to do somethin

6. MTU58EGGER

MTU58EGGER Hatching

Apr 30, 2010
    Mabelvale, Arkansas
    In Arkansas we have laws about Pit bulls,You have to register your animal, and have them spaid and neutered and they can't run loose

if your animal attacks a person they are put down immediatly, They have really turned the heat up on owners and there animals. They

really make it very hard to own a pit bull, but as you say its not the animals fault its how they are raised and treated by there owners.

I love all animals but pit bulls are one of my least favorite.

7. Not all pits are bad, the problem is with the owner. You have every right to keep them off your land to include sss. Just because they are a PB doesn't make them they way they are

Steve

Last edited: May 31, 2010

8. fours2many

fours2many Songster

Feb 28, 2010
    Naples, Florida
    Quote:Yes, the officer said to do this too.

My dh isn't back yet...hope all is going well with the neighbor. The neighbor is a drunk, so that doesn't help either. His dogs have never been nasty or mean. Occasionally they made it down to our driveway(we live about 1/4 mile down the road), but never showed aggression. I guess the chickens were to tempting. I still blame this solely on the owner. He is an irresponsible owner!

9. illegal avian

illegal avian Cooped up

Apr 21, 2010
    Third World, Texas
    The owner has been given fair warning, and you may not have any other choice than to eliminate this clear and present danger. Pitbulls with a demonstrated propensity to kill, will kill again. This is one extremely dangerous breed. The most dangerous part involved in taking out a pitbull is continuing life in proximity of the owner. If you shoot the dog, you had best to be mentally prepared for the consequences and to shoot again. You are living in the midst of killer pitbulls. You are in a clear and present danger. Highly advise you prepare to take action. This is going to end one of two ways. Good news is you get to choose. DO NOT TAKE THIS LIGHTLY!!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2010

10. calista

calista Songster

Jan 27, 2010
    Quote:Second that. Don't run the risk of injury to you or your loved ones, now that the dogs know where your chickens are and their irresponsible owner is not going to change his ways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by