Neighbors Dogs killing chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickenjones, Jan 14, 2010.

1. chickenjones

chickenjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Burleson, TX
    We had 15 chickens. Last week one of our neighbors dogs killed one and injured another. It made a recovery. Yesterday one of the dogs got another chicken. Today It got two chickens. You do the math.

We know its the dogs- even the neighbor knows it. He brought me one of them today. She died after he left. She was in shock when he brought her to me. We live on three acres, most of it wooded. Our chickens free range all day and roost at night. We do not have a fence and neither do they. We are in the process of putting one up but it is not finished and probably won't be for about three weeks with my husband's work schedule. I guess we can keep them cooped up all day although I hate to do that. I don't see any other choice though.

My question is this: if this were your situation how would you go about dealing with the neighbors? My husband is going to call them and ask they replace the chickens/pay us for the chickens. They know its their dogs and have admitted to it but won't keep them penned up. What would you do? The other little details is we live on a private road and I am not sure if we reported their dogs that anything would be done since we aren't inside city limits.

I am just really frustrated and sad. I feel horribly guilty that these sweet chickens have died. We don't want to cause trouble with our neighbors but they don't seem to care at all. [​IMG]

I would appreciate any advice/wisdom you may have.

Thanks,
    Melody
    aka ChickenJones

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Ask the neighbors to replace the chickens and to keep his dogs home in a nice manner.

If that does not work, call animal control and get a gun to protect your flock.

3. bubblebean11

bubblebean11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    20 min N of Denver
    Im really sorry that you have gone through this. I suggest that you make a temporary pen for them outside of the coop until you finish the fence. As for the neighbors I don't know what to say. You can ask them to replace but that might just cause tension between the two of you. I say do what you can to save the rest of your girls/boys and act as though the neighbor will do nothing to help. You can only rely on yourself to help your birds. If they do help, great. But I wouldn't count on it. I hope that didn't sound too harsh as I don't mean it to be. Best of luck to you and yours. [​IMG]

4. beerman

beerman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Smithville, il
    I would ask them very nicely to keep their dog on their property, If they don't where I live animal control will not do anything about unleashed dogs and you do have the right to.....make their dog cease to be if you know what I mean. I would hate to do that to a dog but until you can shoot pet owners...........

5. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    i would try to work it out nicely at first. There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to let your chickens free range on your own property without the neighbor's dog's coming onto your property to kill them. I wuold expect him to put up a fence to keep his dogs on his property. If that was me, and If they would continue "not to care" then I'd let him know that you would intend to protect your animals against predators that came onto your property.

6. chickenjones

Jun 30, 2009
    Burleson, TX
    The funny thing is that when we first moved in about a year and a half ago, he had a dog coming in our yard to fight our dogs. My husband finally said if he saw him again he would shoot him. This dog was chasing me and my daughters too. The owner shot him right then. It was his sons dog (grown son) and he said he would just tell him he got hit by a car!

Aron brought up protecting our chickens from his dogs if necessary and the man said- shoot him. Geez. This guy is LOONEY TUNES. We are afraid that if we shoot their dog(s), which we don't want to do, then he will change his mind and sue us. I am pretty sure animal control won't do anything either.

Thanks for the comments so far!

Melody

7. Doormantnt

Doormantnt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Glen Burnie, MD
    My first question is were the "attacks" on your property, or did your chickens stray?

Personally I would build a temporary, large fenced area until main fence is done. But I would also make the neighbors aware that it has to stop, they need to contain, control their dogs. If the dogs were seen "in an aggressive attitude" toward the chickens on your property, then actions will be taken. and if actions are taken, and ask them if they would they like their dogs remains.

but keep in mind that the dogs now know that there is food, or chew toys on your property, so even the new fence may be an issue.

I do agree you have to handle this pro-actively NOW, before any further loss, but chickens will always loose that battle.

so either contain, confine your chickens, or they contain, confine the dogs. Or you take actions to see the two don't interact.

just my humble opinion.

TNT

8. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    I'm so sorry you lost some of your chickens but it's time for you to take control of the situation or lose some more.

Obviously the neighbors are not going to help so it's up to you to decide how to proceed.
    It seems you have 2 choices. Let the chickens free range and take the chance of losing more or build a run that will be safe from predators.
    We chose the latter because we have so many predators around here, not just dogs but raccoons, skunks, coyotes, bob cats, eagles, etc etc. So we chose to pen our chickens.
    They get out once a day for about an hour in our small backyard between the house and coop but are still penned and under supervision plus our dog protects them. And the run is on 2 sides of the coop and very roomy for them.

Don't count on the neighbors helping because your chickens are not important to them. Doesn't make them bad people. Just different priorities.

And as for shooting the dogs. Our neighbor to the east of us did that with a neighbors dog from the north of us and he is in BIG trouble!! I don't believe shooting the dog is a very good option unless you are up to a big legal hassle, but that's just my opinion and I know a lot of people on here disagree with me. Personally I could not shoot a dog who is just following his instincts. Why not call county animal control and have them handle it but in the meantime pen the chickens.

9. chickenjones

Jun 30, 2009
    Burleson, TX
    The chickens have been on our property every time. The first time the dog got in the coop, knocked over food, water, nests and all before taking the chicken. The get in the yard get a chicken and run back to their house with it. We are just left with a pile of feathers.

I think the temporary fence is a good thing. We have to do something. I hate that is winter. It will be tricky to keep them warm. We do have guns by the way. I am most concerned with the fact that they are sneaky and now they know where to come to catch something and kill it. My roo is so freaked out. One of the ones taken was our head hen- his main squeeze and he has been calling for her for two days.

So sad [​IMG] and frustrating!

Melody

10. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Depending on your money situation, you could put up a 10,000 sq ft enclosure quickly (2 hrs) and cheaply using deer netting for the fence. It would not keep the dogs out but would keep the chickens in and off the acreage until your husband gets your fence done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by