Neighbors dogs stealing my vegetables...ugh!!

Ms.FuzzyButts

Songster
10 Years
Sep 5, 2009
North Alabama
The problem is that my neighbor is my brother.. His dogs have chased my chickens. I fired a warning shot and they have not been back to bother the chickens thankfully! I told him about it and he seemed unphased. Now his dogs are coming into my garden at night and stealing my vegetables!! Yes, my vegetables!!!! In particular, my spaghetti squash. It is my first year to plant that variety and haven't even gotten to harvest any yet because they steal them just before they are ripe. This morning I woke up to find that they had stolen deer antlers (off of our porch) that we use for rattling during deer season.. I walked over to his house to get them and saw 3 more squash stolen and destroyed.. My blood is boiling now!!! I texted him because he can't get calls at his work. He says sort of jokingly I assume, that it's payback for my dogs pooping in his yard. REALLY!!! There is no comparison as far as I am concerned. I told him he could keep the poop because we don't eat the poop. Only the squash...
big_smile.png
I asked that he please put them up at night. He says he has no pen. I suggested a leash. Then he says well, his dogs must have followed mine home because they visit his house at night. Uhmm, no they don't, because mine are leashed every night, all night. And it is because he complained about the poop. I complied gracefully and keep them leashed. No problem. My dogs, my responsibility. Then I get home from work this afternoon and get ready to till my garden. Go to grab my gloves and one is missing. So is one of my husbands. I text him yet again. Yes he has seen the gloves and put them in the garbage.. Oh, come on!! They hadn't torn them up and one was almost brand new. He could have just asked if it was ours before tossing them. Wouldn't you think? He knows his dogs are thieves because he talks about all the stuff that's in his yard every morning.. I told him that I still love him, but that I don't want animals causing BS between us. I just wish he would take the initiative to do what's right. I leash mine at night because of poop. (It has been over a year since the pooping took place) His are causing actual monetary destruction. What gives? The warning shot worked for the chicken chasing, maybe I should sit up all night at the corner of my garden.

There is a device that will turn on a sprinkler (actually a pretty hard spraying stream) in a particular direction if any motion is sensed. You might want to try that along with motion sensor lights aimed (if possible) at his bedroom window. If that combination doesn't work, you might want to make a little concoction of cayenne pepper and some oil, and apply it to the skins of the spaghetti squash. If all else fails, you may need to have some portable electic fencing that you can put up around your garden, at least. Good luck. It's harder when it's family involved.

I would give him one last chance and tell him that if it happens again, animal control will be called. He cannot control his dogs. Shouldn't have them. Period.

Quote:
Amen!! My thoughts exactly. My dogs don't steal. They WILL NOT go into our garden, they know better. And don't tear things up. I spend time with my animals and teach them right from wrong. It can be done.
Dora'smom.. do you know what that water device is called by chance??

Last edited:
I agree about the fences. I have seen used dog Kennels on Craigs list for $200. It is worth it to save the relationship with your brother. Give it to him for Father's Day.

At the very least, he has a house, tell him to put the dogs in the house at night.

Ms.FuzzyButts :

Quote:
Amen!! My thoughts exactly. My dogs don't steal. They WILL NOT go into our garden, they know better. And don't tear things up. I spend time with my animals and teach them right from wrong. It can be done.
Dora'smom.. do you know what that water device is called by chance??

Havahart Motion activated sprinkler. Bought mine on Amazon.com for about $40. Works great, for awhile, to keep the chickens out of the garden too. But unless the dog/s are already afraid of the water it is useless. Some dogs (LABS) may actually play in it.​

Back
Top Bottom