Neighbor's dogs...

cmjust0

Songster
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
Central KY
Sitting in the living room last night, watching TV...about 11:15pm. Our LGD starts barking. At first, it's just kind of a normal bark, but then it changed and became much more...acute? I dunno the word, but I knew immediately that he was MAD.

Went out the front door with one of my border collies. The gate to the barnyard (and the goats and chickens) is just to the left, so when I get past the vehicle in the driveway and can see the gate, I see a big boxer-type dog standing there.

I knew my BC would jump it -- and probably lose -- so I tried to hurry her back in the house before she saw it. She turned, but the boxer dog walked out toward the driveway. She saw him and started to run after him, but I called her off..

Well I'll be danged if ANOTHER dog didn't come out from the area around the gate...A BIG A** ROTTWEILER. That was too much for the BC, and she gave chase. I was yelling like a madman, and she actually did nip at the rottie's hind end but luckily he picked up the pace instead of turning to snap her head off. I was about 99% sure they were my neighbor's dogs, so I got my BC back in the house and called the neighbor's dad (I don't have the neighbor's number..never met him..seems like a jerk). Dear ol' dad didn't seem particularly happy to be awoken at 11:30pm, but he's super nice and said he'd call his son..
big_smile.png

Anyway...the cool thing is that our big LGD -- a Sarplaninac -- stood his ground at the gate with a big boxer and an even bigger rottie staring him in the face. When I stepped out, I honestly thought there was a truck coming up the road because I could hear some sort of low rumbling sound. Turns out, it was the LGD growling. When he growls, the ground shakes....I kid you not.
hide.gif

If not for him, those dogs would almost certainly have been in the barnyard before I knew what was happening.

So, here he is....Big Ivan. We're so blessed to have him.
big_smile.png
wee.gif

29822_ivan2.jpg

GOOD BOY!
clap.gif

Dogs are the best form of protection, if you have the right kind. My dog hears any kind of excitement going on with the chickens he runs to the door and whines. Usually its nothing but we have chased off a few hawks.
smile.png

What's so cool about Ivan is that he's a such a big lovable goofball with us. He's only about 20mo's old right now, and still acts like a puppy a lot of the time.. There's nothing funnier than to see such a HUGE dog bouncing around in circles when you bring him a food dish.. Or getting down on his front legs and cocking his head to the side when he wants to play.. He's like 150+lbs of sheer happiness.
gig.gif

When a threat presents itself, though, he goes into full-on guardian mode and suddenly becomes the most intimidating looking dog you've ever seen. It's uncanny...like jeckyll & hyde. The really neat thing is that my wife and I know him well enough to have both looked at each other and went "Uh oh" when his bark changed. I mean, it was immediate...we both just knew something was up.

Folks...I'm tellin ya...if you live in a place where you could keep an LGD, and you don't have one....get one!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
His tail's fairly well matted right now, and his hindquarters tend to mat a bit when he's in his winter coat.

My wife decided to go brush him one day this spring when he was blowing his coat.. He'd never been brushed before, but the big goober just laid down and went to sleep like "aaaaah, that's nice!" When I got home there was such a huge pile of doghair in the barnyard, it looked like he'd exploded.
lau.gif

All the mats came out with the winter coat, but he's diligently putting them back on now. I don't worry too much about it.. My thinking is that it would actually be quite a bit harder for something to tear into his hindquarters if he's matted up a little.. For all I know, it could be a defence mechanism.
hu.gif

I should also add that it's really only the outside of his hind legs and just up on his hips that ever get matted.. The rest of him stays nice and tangle free, save for a nice sticky mud clod here and there.
tongue.png

Last edited:
Way to go Ivan! What a gorgeous boy he is and very worthy of a day at a doggie spa with some treats and pampering!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom