Neighbor's dogs!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by The Sheriff, Dec 1, 2009.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Our neighbors two doors down have two dogs, one little yapper and the other a massive Bull Mastiff. A couple of weeks ago they got out and were running back and forth across the street nearly causing several accidents. We live on a very busy city street. A lady stopped her car to try to catch them and I went outside to help. The Bull Mastiff ran at me and jumped up with its paws on my shoulders and knocked me flat over backwards on the sidewalk. Animal Control had been called by me, several neighbors and drivers but they never responded. I kept trying to get past that big beast to knock on their door but he kept coming at me. Finally I roused them and they got control of the dogs. They seemed unfazed that there were many near miss accidents and that I had been knocked to the ground. I told them Animal Control was on the way and I was filing a report. AC never showed up.

Today hubby and I went to our back yard and found the yapper in the chicken yard and the bull mastiff trying to get over the fence. I ran back for the camera. We have wrought iron fencing back there. That is all that is allowed due to possible creek flooding. The yapper had squeezed underneath. I ran to the neighbors and he came over and got the dogs. He said the mastiff had dug a "huge hole" under the fence to get out. I was livid and told him I was filing a report with Animal Control and also calling the city for permission to electrify the fence. Again, the idiot was indifferent and unconcerned. He actually told us he saved the dog from being put down because it wouldn't stop killing chickens! I told him he would be sorry if that darn dog hurt one of my animals. Even my goats were huddled in a corner! None of our animals was hurt. This time. I am enraged with this guy's attitude about his dogs and the danger they pose to others! [​IMG]
    Look at the size of this beast! That's a six foot fence.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mary

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2009
  2. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    [​IMG]

I am soo sorry you have a neighbor like that.

Glad none of mine are that way.

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I would make the dog(s) disappear.A far away shelter .If my livestock was killed then an eye for an eye.Your neighbor and AC does not seem to care.

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Do not relent until animal control tickets them.

On a deadline right now but could share so many stories of regret for not doing this (thankfully no deaths, but the bottom line is that people like that don't learn otherwise, if they ever learn at all).

Some folks on BYC would recommend getting the dogs with paint guns next time so their people have a devil of a time trying to get the dogs clean.

JJ

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Scary! I love big dogs, but that thing isn't a dog- it's a hippo in disguise. Don't mess around with that animal because it looks like it could kill with its breath alone. I'd give AC one more go and if they continued to ignore my request for assistance I'd call your local PD and demand a patrol officer come out with an explanation of what AC has been doing. I also believe that the squeaky wheel gets the oil, so I'd file a complaint about AC's negligence.

Your idea of electrifying the fence sounds like the only way of keeping the beasts at bay. Good luck with that.

6. Ladyhawke1

Ladyhawke1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dear Warden:

Continue to do what you are doing. May I also suggest using Cayenne pepper at the back of the fence on your side of the property. It is cheap and it works. I would not tell anyone else that you are doing this. [​IMG] People do not need to know what you are doing. It is your property and you can do with it what you will and is no one else's business. It is harmless to the animals and yes, it needs to be replenished at times and it takes very little to do the job.

The first thing a dog does is sniff something. Bingo! [​IMG] After a one …MAYBE two tries... this will make both dogs’ think twice before even approaching your fence.

This method has worked very well for me. My neighbor’s dogs will not even come near my side of their fences. This happened months ago and it took only a few minutes. These dogs will not even bark at my side of their fences. I hear them barking but it is on the other side of their properties.

For the long term, the electric fence sounds good. I would go ahead with that unless the city rules against it because of the flood control issue.

I have started to put the cayenne pepper around my chicken pen too. I am hoping that until I get a more secured area that this may discourage raccoons. I do not know if this will work on raccoons but so far so good. I am wondering if anyone else has used this on raccoons? I know for sure it works on dogs. [​IMG]

7. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:Thanks for the suggestion. The weeds back behind the fence are pretty high so I am not sure they would even be able to find the cayenne Pepper. Will it work if I just sprinkle it on the weeds?

8. Ghostchick

Ghostchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Wow, you have such a beautiful setup, I would be so upset to have a huge monster like that dog come in and ruin it. We are having problems with a loose dog ourselves, but this one attacked my dog before it saw my chickens were free rangeing. We have gone t court a couple times about it, and still the judge hasn't done much. It can be frustrating, but keep up the fight! Try to catch the hijinks on video camera also. Good luck!

9. Ladyhawke1

Ladyhawke1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thanks for the suggestion. The weeds back behind the fence are pretty high so I am not sure they would even be able to find the cayenne Pepper. Will it work if I just sprinkle it on the weeds?

YEP! But if you can get it "sniff" high it would help. [​IMG]

10. Galaxiedriver

Galaxiedriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Mid Missouri
    You be careful with that big animal. Especially the running to the neighbors part. If he is protective and you yell at your neighbor he could turn on you. Call the police, sheriff too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by