neighbors & dogs

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Slinglings, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Slinglings

Slinglings Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2012
    Seattle 98125
    I live on an urban lot (about 7000 sq feet or so) with a fenced back yard (I think it is probably 40 x 60 feet). The fence is a typical privacy fence, so I guess 6 feet tall?. The two gates are 4 feet tall. My chickens free range back there, they have never attempted to leave the yard.

The house next door is for sale. A couple that is interested in it have a large yellow lab. The first thing I asked when I met them was if they had a dog, they knew I have chickens, but they assumed I was concerned about barking. I am concerned about the dog jumping the gates or fence. I know little about dogs, can big dogs jump that high? Do dogs tend to dig under fences? How worried exactly do I need to be? Most people think their dogs would never hurt a chicken, they didn't take me seriously when I said I was concerned. Sort of laughed. (Perfectly nice people, btw). My husband also is not taking me seriously. I will not tolerate my chickens being bothered by a big dog.

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I also live on an urban lot and free range my chickens most days. My neighbors to the side have a yellow lab and my neighbors to the back have some sort of large dog that I can't see but can hear. Given my neighborhood I would guess a pit or a german shepard. I have never had a problem. I can hear them smelling through the fence at the chickens sometimes. My chickens dont notice them (I also have dogs, so not sure if that is a factor). Both neighbor dogs care more about my dogs than my chickens.

My chickens once got into their yard, but that's a totally different issue. lol.

It is extremely unlikely for any dog to be able to get over a 6 ft fence. Is it possible? Yes, but really rare and really difficult. I wouldn't be terribly worried about it. I think express very politely that you do have the birds and you just want to make sure all of the animals involved stay safe. You don't want to start out with animosity when pets are involved and nothing bad has happened.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Dog not familiar with chickens is a potential / highly probable threat. I would give new neighbors subliminal messages making them want chickens of their own. They would would then train dog making so not threat to their birds as result not yours as well.

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    OP dogs will dig and jump. Just make it clear that they MUST keep their dog on their property. Set the grounds rules immediately...labs are by nature bird dogs...retrievers.

5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    A good pet owner will make sure their animals are kept in their yard,and if they SHOULD escape they will IMMEDIATELY ask," How much do I own you?" as well as," I am so very sorry. I know that no amount of money care truly make this right."

If it is obvious the pet owner does not care then just make the dog disappear when it does enter your yard.Hopefully you would catch it before it hurts any person or animal. Just wait and watch.

I have a fence and only one dog has ever climbed it(6 foot chain) and that was to get AWAY from me. I did not see it climb,but I locked the gate and was on the phone with the pound as I headed in the back to leash it for them.

Good luck.Give them some eggs.That might spur them to get a few hens.

6. ChickensRDinos

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    A chain link fence would be much easier to climb than a typical wooden privacy fence. Dogs are not well made for scaling vertical slats of wood.

Eggs is a good idea. You want to start this out on a positive note and if possible be allies here.

7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i'm a little concerned that you said the gates are only 4' tall. i suspect most medium to large size dogs could jump that. Can you put an extension on top of those? Our next door neighbors have dogs and like to bring them out in their front yard to wander when they are out there. So i am very careful to make sure our gates are always closed, even if i'm going out front for just a minute. Our fences and gates are 6' then we added an additional 2' of posts and netting to discourage their cats from hopping the fence into our yard.

8. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    four foot high gates are totally inadequate. Many dogs can jump or climb those gates, and could dig under your fencing if it's just on dirt. People are responsible for their dog's behavior, but that can be small comfort after a disaster. My birds free range on my farm, fortunately with polite neighbors and dogs kept at home. It's been 20 years here, and I hope my good luck doesn't run out! Mary

9. Slinglings

Slinglings Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2012
    Seattle 98125
    The gates lead to my front yard, not the neighboring yard. I'm sure I could do something to make them higher. I would *hope* that the dog isn't ever loose in my front yard.

I'm now having dreams about dogs in my yard. Sigh. The people haven't even bought the house yet.

The fence is on dirt. Would LARGE rocks along the bottom of the fence help with digging?

10. ChickensRDinos

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    It is not good to stress about a problem that does not even exist. Take a thoughtful walk around your yard and make sure that your fencing is good and strong and that your yard is secure. Make sure that you have done what you can to keep your chicken safe from ALL predators that can get in your yard.

It sounds like you have already discussed your concerns with the neighbors. If you have not then do that.

Yes. some people have had bad experiences with dogs but not all dogs are rabid killing machines that will scale anything and dig giant holes to get at your birds. It sounds to me like you have a standard wooden fence in your backyard correct? So the dog will not even be able to see the birds? I would just make sure there is not any gap between the bottom of the fence and ground.

Give them a chance. If you came at me before I even moved in accusing my dogs of things that had not even happened I would be very off put and less likely to be your allie in the future.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by