Neighbor's duck(s?) attacked - prayers and advice please

KYTinpusher

Master Enabler
8 Years
Sep 3, 2011
Northern KY
We having been feeding the neighbors animals while they are down in Texas making final arrangements to move there. Well, yesterday one of the ducks disappeared. Today when my husband went up to feed, he found only one duck (out of three) and he was in bad shape with bites to the neck and back. They haven't had problems before, but they did take their dog with them to Texas. My best guess is a coyote or stray dog used the opportunity to grab a duck dinner.
We are bringing the duck to our house and planning to dose it with Aconite 30c and Ledum 30c, and spray the wounds with prepared Calendula tincture (all homeopathic remedies, for those not familiar). Does anyone have any other suggestions, perhaps a food that may help strengthen it? Any suggestions would be appreciated as I have no experience treating injured fowl, though as a new chicken owner, I'm sure there will be many other learning experiences along the way.

Last edited:
Antibiotic ointment without pain relievers for the wound. Cook up some egg, protein helps healing . Vitamins and electrolytes in the water. Good luck.

UPDATE: I stopped at Tractor Supply on my way home from work this morning and bought Sav-A-Chik and Blu-Coat. DH and kids gave him a bath and got him all cleaned up. Picture here of the worst of it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/105574_p1010091.jpg

He
was up and about in his dog crate this morning and doesn't seem to be too much the worse for wear. He has been drinking the Sav-A-Chik, but doesn't seem too interested in the egg (DH scambled it, would hard-boiled have been better?). He has been eating some crumbles, the little bit of spinach DH gave him (before I read your post galgo98 - thanks for the link, we'll lay off the spinach) and a little watermelon DH and the kids gave him. We coated his wounds (and my thumb
hmm.png
) with the Blu-Coat.

Thank you Hot2Pot and galgo98 for your advice. Barring any setbacks, I think he will be alright.

Hope you have a blessed day!

I'm going to ask to have this moved to the emergency section. Hopefully you'll get some help from experienced members there.

Back
Top Bottom