Neighbors gave us their chicken-but I don't know what she is!! Help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by franklinchickens, Jul 6, 2011.

1. franklinchickens

franklinchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    We have some neighbors who had a single chick a relative gave them and as it grew, they ended up housing her in a cardboard box on their front porch. When we realized they had the chicken, we offered to take her in with our flock. It took them a couple of days to decide (it was the daughter's pet and there's a language barrier) but this afternoon they brought her over.
    So I have 2 questions:
    Is she really a SHE?
    And if so, what breed might she be?
    Thanks! PS The pics were the best I could get as she was too busy running around the yard and it was hard to get good shots.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Dominique?

3. Lacey1988

Lacey1988 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    looks like a Barred Rock...... its a girl I know that for sure

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  4. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    That is an interesting bird. I think she is a pullet. At first I was going to say a Cuckoo Marans cuz she looks a lot like my girls but the comb is wrong and her legs are yellow. The barring and comb are wrong for a Barred Rock. Perhaps she is a cross breed.

5. franklinchickens

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Forgot to mention - she's about the same size as my buff orpington & red sexlink that are about 4 months old.
    I looked at pics of barred rock & dominique - she does look like both of them. Hmm....anyone else confirm either?

6. franklinchickens

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Quote:Could definitely be a cross breed - because of the language barrier I have absolutely no idea where the relative who gave them the hen got it. Could have been a flea market or a farm - who knows? She seems healthy and sweet so I hope my other girls don't give her a hard time.

7. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Dominique pullet. She's not a Barred Rock, because Barred Rocks have single combs.

8. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Well I'm glad you were able to get her.

9. gggonzalez

gggonzalez New Egg

May 7, 2011
    Your girl looks a lot like my Barred Rock pullets, although the bars aren't quite as straight as the ones on mine. Perhaps, as another poster said, it could be a BR/Dominique mix. Pretty sure its a she too. She is so cute, congrats!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  10. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Feet, legs and feather look a lot like my Barred Rocks but the comb doesn't. I vote female BR mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by