Neighbors Have Safety Concerns

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BayaK, Feb 13, 2014.

1. BayaK

BayaK New Egg

Feb 13, 2014
    Hello! We are in the process of getting our city ordinance changed to allow confined hens. The city council voted on it, and it passed back in December. As of yet the city still has not officially made the change because there is one member who vehemently opposes chickens. She will not rest until she shoots down this ordinance change even though it already PASSED. She has drummed up a lot of fears about safety in some of the elderly city residents. I am looking for studies on this including risk factors and rates of the spread of disease if possible. I know the risk of avian flu is virtually non-existent in confined birds in this country. Are there ANY risks to neighbors if they don't come into contact with poop or feathers? Common sense tells me NO, but these people will want that in writing from a reliable source. Common sense also tells me that proper handwashing prevents illness, but common sense seems to be lacking in some of these people. Can you tell I'm pretty mad about this? Thanks in advance for your help on this!

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hi there,
    Congratulations on getting the ordinance passed. To my mind, if it's passed, it's done! despite paranoia from certain quarters!
    I don't know of any studies done with regard to possible diseases in people who don't have any contact with birds. Your local veterinarian may be able to help you.
    The usual transmittable problems - salmonella etc. as you know come from improper sanitation and certainly should not be a problem in backyard birds that are well cared for. They are far more likely to get sick from store bought, improperly stored meat/eggs.
    If you have the time, meeting individually with elderly residents may allay their fears if you address each one individually - divide and conquer, [​IMG] Good luck, go get your birds!

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    We went through this as well. There will always be a few people who will resist to the bitter end no matter how much proof you present, including presenting poultry experts that have all kinds of college degrees. The city council passed the ordinance, it's a done deal; next the ordinance has to be written to comply in conjunction with other departments such as zoning, animal control, and any other city departments that wants to get their 2 cents worth in the ordinance...this takes time. It took about a month for us.
    You can contact your local extension agent and ask him to help you out if you wish. Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    The bottom line of that is none are air borne. You have to physically come in contact with poop, birds or the meat. As Boskelli points out contamination is more likely in a commercial operation and from their products you purchase at the store. Washing of hands and changing of footwear eliminates contamination from association with poultry. Cooking of meat and eggs eliminates contamination of any food you ingest including that of backyards.

Educating can backfire. Suddenly if a hen escapes and poops in a neighbors driveway they report you for improper bio hazard disposal. Some such nonsense will always arise with the paranoid. It's almost better to ignore them. Contact the town select board to inquire of set date to allow chickens. As there is no "task force" to be assembled and commence the "chicken patrol" it doesn't make sense you can't implement the ordinance now.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by