Neighbor's hen keeps flying over; can we clip wings & throw her back?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Laurieks, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Laurieks

Laurieks Where did the time go???

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    She is pretty, ginger colored with an odd x-bred comb.
    She's been found in the yard several times over the past 6 weeks or so, and my dog knows her sound and sends her back promptly.

(Many of our neighbors are from Mexico, and I've been told that letting their birds run loose is a cultural thing and they're not going to change.
    Several years ago a roo was in our coop fighting with our Silkie roo (the interloper was LOSING, btw). I caught him and took him door to door. No one would claim him. I kept him in a dog crate til he had healed up, far from our coop, and took him to the feed store. Got $5! [​IMG] I didn't think about Animal Control at the time. They had told us that since we're in unincorporated county, they can't do anything about wandering or barking dogs unless they bite someone, or three people file written complaints. I don't believe that's the letter of the law, but that;s what they said, so I have little faith in them.)

Today... my son trapped her in our coop. I looked her over, she's calm when held and seems healthy. We're calling her 'Rogue'.
    We're waiting for the packet on NPIP certification, so if she stays she'll be tested soon. (and the dog will be 'told').

Has anyone clipped flight feathers on a chicken and had it decide to stay put?

Thanks in advance!

2. catfish/okie

catfish/okie Chillin' With My Peeps

just clip 1 wing and this throws off their balance. dont clip too far. you can feel where the flesh ends.clip just past this.

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Sounds like she is moving herself to your house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by