Neighbor's hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fbchickens, Jun 25, 2011.

1. fbchickens

fbchickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    What would you do with this situation?

My wife and I are trying to figure out what to do with our neighbor's hen, a Jersey Giant. She has been hanging around our run and coop for the past 2 weeks since his rooster died from a predator and at one time there was another hen. She basically stays on our property, free ranges and sleeps in one our trees. Our neighbor is a mess, he can't stay off the pills.

While out cleaning up some debris the other night I found her nesting area with 3 eggs under some that had I piled up over time. Yesterday we where watching the area to see if she would return to it, sure enough she did and laid another egg.

This has left us scratching our heads with what to do!!! One thing we have decided not to do, is introduce her to our small flock of 4, 1 rooster and 3 pullets that are 13 weeks old. She, I think is probably close to 1 1/2 - 2 years old. I was thinking about building a small A-frame nesting box, but my concern are the eggs. They looked healthy, as does she, and are not thin shelled. I did dispose of the ones that were there, due to that they were in the sun after the cleaning up.

If I'm to build this a-frame, how would I get her to use it? Treats? How about a fake egg?

Please let us know how you would go about it?

BTW, thanks for all the info on this site, it has helped tremendously since day one when my wife said she wanted some chickens. We now have a BR rooster and 3 pullets that are a BR, BA, and an EE.

2. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    Can you put her "nest" in the A-frame or put the A-frame OVER her nest?

3. fbchickens

Mar 30, 2011
    Her nesting area is were I have a burn pit for burning the yard debris and where we roast oysters when in season, lots of trees. We haven't been able to burn here for a while because we are under a burn ban from the drought here in NE FL. Lucky, we finally have received some rain the last 2 weeks. Plus that area receives lots of sun and it's hot here. I was thinking putting it close to the run and coop area where it has lots of shade.

4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    chickens are very social animals and she is obviously very lonely.
    I would put some straw inside and the fake egg is a very good lure for her. She really wants company. great that you are so caring to help her out. Plus, you can have some fresh eggs! [​IMG]

5. fbchickens

Mar 30, 2011
    Free eggs was exactly what I was thinking about. We are still at least 6 weeks out with ours.

Quote:

6. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Quote:
    [​IMG]

7. CariLynn

CariLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    State of confusion
    I commend you for caring for her and being compassionate. You mention the "owner" if you will, has been hitting the pills hard, so...can you not keep her? I know that you said you don't want to but it is apparent she has adopted you and your yard, why not make the best of it? Or can you put a small dish of food out for her and some water too?

8. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    if he is on the "pills" can't you just add her to your flock? He probably doesn't even miss her or ask him for her? Personally, I would add her and I am sure he won't ever ask about her. It is one of those, do what is best for the chicken? Poor girl, she really needs the company. Has she been able to see and hear your flock? And they her? if so they probably have already accepted her. She needs the closeness of them.

9. fbchickens

Mar 30, 2011
    Thank you. It must be a mis-understanding, we are adopting her, we just aren't going to integrate her with the others. She's always been a free ranger, I just think it would be best for the time being and that way the owner can't say we took her. Also, she's being well fed and watered.

BTW, have the material already for the a-frame out in my workshop.

Quote:

10. fbchickens

Mar 30, 2011
    That's our plan eventually. Just trying not to stir-up trouble for the time being with the neighbor. Plus all the other neighbors know it's his too.

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by