NEIGHBORS issues!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LuckyDuck411, Jan 21, 2011.

1. LuckyDuck411

LuckyDuck411 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Just need to vent... any tips are welcome!

I came home today to find our neighbor's dog trying to DIG under our fence on the side of the yard where are ducks are! We live in a subdivision and these neighbors (who live behind us) never have their dog chained (we've informed them several times politely that its state law to contain your pets)! So I marched on over to their house and they wouldn't answer the front dog. I know they were home b/c I just watched them let their dog out. The dog followed me all the way to their house barking/growling the whole time. After knocking several times I walked back home and they were at their back door so I proceeded to ask them to keep their dog on their property b/c it was trying to dig under our fence! I also told them several times it has almost been hit by a car on our street, it poops in our yard, and comes into our garage. I also told them we keep antifreeze in our garage and if it ever ingested it it would kill it. The girl (I would call her a lady, but a lady doesn't speak like she did) cursed at me and told me to go back into my house. I asked her again to chain her dog let her know I would just let animal control take care of this...and then walked home. The dog followed me to by backyard fence barking the entire time! We keep an airhorn at our backdoor for cases just like this (protection) so I b/c she didn't call her dog off I "airhorned" it and she yelled again. Of course the dog took off scared. On a side note these people have 2 dogs as of a now (a chihuahua and a pit mix) they have also had at least 3 other dogs (that they no longer have) in the past 8-9 months! Well we did call animal control to file a complaint, right after I called a friend at the planning dept to double check if my ducks were legal! THey are!!!!

2. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    WOW yeah, I would report them. Thats horrible. I hope that "girl" gets her dogs taken away. Chihuahuas are known for going in the road. And pitbulls need a lot of attention, and need to be treated properly So they dont get mean later in there life. And to me, words could not even explain thats going on in my head ! [​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Good for you that your legal, it's a shame that neighbors haven't more respect for others property. More than likely their other dogs ended up getting killed by a car,and most likely will happen to these also. Sorry your having to deal with this, hopefully animal control will take care of it.

4. LuckyDuck411

Jun 16, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I should probably mention it was NOT the chihuahua that was trying to dig under our fence...that is the ONLY dog they keep on a chain...I don't understand why one is chained and the other isn't?! You could tell the pit-mix was one VERY scared dog, but a scared dog can instantly start fear biting and we have ALOT of kids in this neighborhood! I was almost hoping it would bite me so I could call the cops...only then I would feel terrible for what would happen to the poor dog. Not his fault he was trying to get into our yard...i'm sure our house looks more fun to him too! [​IMG]

5. pekinduck<3er

pekinduck<3er Chillin' With My Peeps

hhmmm i have the same prolem theirs this little white dog that trys to come in my house and atack my cayugas! i yelled and my dogs chase her away do u have dogs and if so do they get along with the ducks. my dogs attack thAT little dog or just get some chicken wire and dig it under and put some BIG rocks nets to the fence!! it helped me or just file a complaint tio the police hope this helps a bit [​IMG]

6. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

On your side of the fence I would pour a little concrete into the hole ( when I do it here, I dig down a little bit, say 12 inches or so, I fill all but two inches below the soil line. once that concrete (bagged from Home depot) sets up, I pour dirt ontop and reseed grass. It's always worked for us. and it provides a spot where it is very unlikely the neighbor dog will dig again. By the time i am done I will have a concrete outline of my property, but it's all covered in grass so the HOA (not that I have one here) woulnd't say a word. We have an airhorn too. works pretty good. To be sure yuou are only pouring the concrete on your side of the hole you couldbackfill that side of the hole with dirt so it looks like you are just filling it back in, you know and go to town with the concrete. I have noticed the neighbor dog that was doing it here stopped digging after running into that a few times. (and then new neighbors with dogs moved in and I repeated the process with those dogs' new holes)

7. LuckyDuck411

Jun 16, 2010
    Indianapolis
    pekinduck<3er :

hhmmm i have the same prolem theirs this little white dog that trys to come in my house and atack my cayugas! i yelled and my dogs chase her away do u have dogs and if so do they get along with the ducks. my dogs attack thAT little dog or just get some chicken wire and dig it under and put some BIG rocks nets to the fence!! it helped me or just file a complaint tio the police hope this helps a bit [​IMG]

We've got a DOBERMAN that LOVES our ducks and vise versa (see evidence here on youtube: )... she doesn't really bark at this dog at all...they run up and down the fence together all the time....but I did find the airhorn worked to scare the dog and upset the dog's owner. I think this spring we are going to have to do chicken wire or concrete to prevent the digging! I hope you get your issue with the dog figured out too!​

8. LuckyDuck411

Jun 16, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Quote:great idea! thanks! Of course I have to wait for a thaw...i wonder if I could run an electric fence along the ground and be within our rights until spring? I do remember reading something on here that someone used a device that emitted a high pitched sound (ultra sonic I think) that was motion detected to keep cats away? Anyone recall that or know what the name of that product is?

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    luckyduck I watched your video that was funny. and cute. [​IMG] I like the way Boris just comes right in and jumps onto the sofa.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  10. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    I don't know if anyone has suggested this yet because I Skipped ahead to post this

Document everything that happens with the neighbors dogs etc , and when you talke to them etc .. keep a log with dates and times.. If you could film the dog drying to dig under would be good too..
    Hope you get this straightened out and your ducks stay safe from the neighbors dogs.

Ooh just though of something could you put some kind of an electric fence or electric netting up on that side to keep the dogs out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by