Not open for further replies.
Pics

Matilda Belle

Crowing
May 16, 2018
SE Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
im worried about when all my chickens go outside into the coop. But I don't want to make enemies with our new neighbors. They are young and I think lack serious etiquette when it comes to keeping pets. The other day I was out in the coop feeding the two chickens, and the dog comes within 5 feet of me, bears its teeth and growls. She calls him and he doesn't listen. The chickens were pretty freaked out and so was I. This has happen numerous times already this spring and I'm sick of it and I'm afraid I might snap and make enemies. The thing that makes me most angry is she sees that he barks and growls in my face and never once does she apologize. What should I do? I thought maybe do a letter?

First things first. You need to protect yourself. Get some mace or some other sort of spray. When that dog is in your face, you spray it. Call animal control if that's available in your area, and local law enforcement if it's not. You can try a letter first if you wish, but I'm guessing your neighbor just won't understand that her dog on your property growling in your face is a problem.

Maybe try a fence.And if you can’t do that,write a letter,but a face to face conversation is better because it can more intimidating,not an a bad way though.Good thing it isn’t here or it would probabaly get killed by our dogs.That would be another option,getting a dog and maybe they will keep theirs locked up.

First things first. You need to protect yourself. Get some mace or some other sort of spray. When that dog is in your face, you spray it. Call animal control if that's available in your area, and local law enforcement if it's not. You can try a letter first if you wish, but I'm guessing your neighbor just won't understand that her dog on your property growling in your face is a problem.
x2! That's dangerous to YOU! Not just your chickens. You and your property safety come before neighbors, period. I understand not wanting to be enemies, I really do. I was just in a less serious situation like this.
It might take a scare for the people to realize they need to take control of their pet or it could get itself killed(or others!!!) by animal control or someone in self defense.

I'm sorry. :( I have a similar situation myself since very few people have fences in my town and it would also seem that very few people here have leashes or proper restraint for their dogs. I had to chase one out of my yard today too when the girls were out.

I don't think it hurts to say something like "Hey, my chickens mean a lot to me and I'm afraid for them when your dog comes into my yard. Can you please keep him better restrained?"
Don't be surprised that if they're dismissive and say "he wouldn't hurt a fly" even though he growls at you, but it's a good first step to let them know you're concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom