Neighbors lives about 300 feet away from my coop. Will an Australorp rooster wake them?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GimmeCake, Jul 28, 2013.

1. GimmeCake

GimmeCake Songster

May 8, 2013
    I'm getting a Black Australorp rooster in about a month. The sound isn't much of a problem but the neighbors may be. They live maybe 300 feet total away from where I'm placing my coop. I'm wondering just how loud this chicken breed could get. They have goats which I'm going to assume their used to some noise, but I really don't want to just get a loud rooster and wake them up every day with a loud crow (I don't know when they get up, so I don't want to be the cause of their sleeping troubles lol). So just how loud can an Australorp get? Thanks!

2. Rich386

Rich386 Songster

Jul 21, 2011
    Live Oak, FL
    Why not just ask him? The only way they will not hear him is if they is stone deaf!

3. Rich386

Rich386 Songster

Jul 21, 2011
    Live Oak, FL
    Why not just ask him? The only way they will not hear him is if they is stone deaf!

4. appps

appps Crowing

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    I don't know that there are quiet roosters so I would just assume loud lol

It really depends on where there bedrooms are. We had a rooster and he never woke us but our neighbours complained and we had to get rid of him. Our house was closer than theirs to the coop.

Till you get him and find out how that works with the acoustics of their house you won't really know. Their bedrooms may sit where other rooms block the sound, they may sit where he will wake them every morning at 4 am :)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by