1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Neighbors lost pets in fire

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by ozark hen, Jan 17, 2010.

1. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    My dear neighbor had a wooden kennel building and she put her old dog and her Christmas chocolate lab in the kennel at night. They kept a heating lamp in there so the waterer wouldn't freeze. Their teenage son locked up the kennel so nothing/no one would bother the dogs. Early Sat. morning we got a phone call from her. She was crying...the kennel was fully engulfed in fire and her dogs were in there. She was hysterical, the teenage son was on a major guilt trip. We rushed over there but there was no way you could get near that building. The fire department found the remains so they could be buried.
    Let me tell you, when we got home I unplugged all the lights to the coop! Temps are in the upper thirties and those chickens do not need heat over their waterer! The neighbor had a 250wt heating lamp over the waterer. We can only figure that was the source for the fire. I am terrified of using lamps at night now. We only use 60 watt bulbs but still you never know. they even had a heavy duty out-door extension cord running to the kennel. Let me tell you to see someone lose their pets that way is something you will never forget nor the heartache and guilt they are going through. By the way, the dogs were in there as they weren't housebroken and the lab wasn't an inside dog to begin with.
    I always worried about the chickens getting "cold" but after finding a hen outside all night (missed in head count)..let me tell you they are lots warmer than we give them credit for. please do not use heat lamps when not needed.

2. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I am sorry for your friend's loss. When it gets really cold here. we use an oil filled heater. NO heat lamps.
    I am glad she has a friend like you that cares for her [​IMG]

3. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    Make sure your heat lamps are secure. Big dogs like that probably knocked it down.
    Sorry for your friends loss.

4. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    That is so horrible. Our dogs have a heat lamp in their kennel and we are very careful to check it is safe. They are not shut in and have a run but they would be hurt if there was a fire - it does scare me. [​IMG] to your friends, Carrie.

5. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    That is terrible after all the horror stories lately I went out and unplugged my lamp and just got a heated water bowl... So sorry for your friends loss thats just devastating

6. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I kind of think it might have been the lab puppy (four or five months old) playing around and somehow knocked into the lamp. such a sad, sad thing to happen. My neighbor is so devastated and can't stop crying to think of them in there and not being able to get out. Thanks to all for condolences.

7. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] I know the loss. On Thursday, I lost more than half my flock to a neighbor's dog. Still. A fire would be WAY worse. [​IMG]

8. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    I use heat lamps from Premier One. They are more expensive but alot more secure than the metal clamp ones.
    I still feel bad for those poor doggies too.

9. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    [​IMG] How awful. I know when I have a heat lamp above a brooder, its rarely if ever un-tended, I am too paranoid.
    I will have to check out those Premier One heat lamps I think...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by