NEIGHBORS MAY EVICT FREEMONT THE ROOSTER

rockrun

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 2, 2012
FREEMONT IS A BLACK ROOSTER,AND OF COURSE CROWS ALLLL THE TIME.THE NEIGHBORS HAVENT SAID ANYTHING BUT IM GETTIN SOME BAD VIBES.ARE THERE BREEDS THAT DONT CROW QUITE AS MUCH.ONE LADY SAID IM NOT FEEDING HIM ENOUGH BUT THEN HE STARTS CROWING RIGHT AFTER I FEED HIM.

Luckily, I don't have close neighbors! I have 16 roos, and they are in constant crowing competition ALL DAY LONG! While it is music to my ears, and helps me to keep tabs on where the flock is in the yard, I can understand how someone else may not see it my way! Do you have a neighbor with a roo? They will crow back and forth for competition of the ladies. How many hens/pullets do you have with him? If he doesn't have enough women to keep him busy, he may be calling out trying to attract more. Is he kept in a run, or allowed to free range? If he's penned up, it could be a boredom thing too. Just a few thoughts. All roos crow, and even my little Silkie boys can get quite loud when they want to!

i would go overwith some fresh eggs in a basket and speaktothem .

i live in a residential area with neighbours all around and my wooster ( w because he us a woos!) is noisy and crows at everything including his own shadow .

i got worried as he has recently been crowing at 5.30 in the morning to let evyone know ruby has laid the first eggof the day .

the neighbours have said its ok for now and they love the sound .

best thing to do is ask and keep the eggs rolling there way i give my neighbours 2 eggs per house every two weeks or so depending on how many i have spare .

they love the eggs and mr Wooster . so far so good but remember as the sun rises earlier so will your rooster and thenthe neighbours may change there minds unless you can find a way of keeping himinthe dark a bit longer

i put mr wooster in a dog crate at 5.30 andhe calls at 8.30 to be let out , he has nicely got to this routine so everyone gets an extra hours kip :)

no there is no quiet rooster they all litke to make noise some more than others, i read a small chicken was better than a big heavy chicken as the noise travels less far but dont quote me on this one.

one thing is not to give treats everytime he crows as he will get in a routine of crowing at your backdoor for treats my mum has trained mr Wooster well in doing this and annoying me every half an hour when he wants corn !!!

You might also try taking the neighbors homemade angel food cake. They might be afraid of the cholesterol in eggs, and the angel food cake is made from egg whites, and it would have a homey feel, being homemade and all. If they like eggs, you could take deviled eggs.

FREEMONT IS A BLACK ROOSTER,AND OF COURSE CROWS ALLLL THE TIME.THE NEIGHBORS HAVENT SAID ANYTHING BUT IM GETTIN SOME BAD VIBES.ARE THERE BREEDS THAT DONT CROW QUITE AS MUCH.ONE LADY SAID IM NOT FEEDING HIM ENOUGH BUT THEN HE STARTS CROWING RIGHT AFTER I FEED HIM.

Crowing bears little or no relation to how much you feed him. Crowing depends on his personality more than anything else.
To be fair to you, and your neighbours, you need to double check your land agreements; so, do they stipulate that you cannot keep a cockerel?

Secondly, just because your neigbours haven't said anything *to you!* how can you feel assured that they haven't lodged a complaint? (My experience of neighbours are, they say things to your face which they do not say to authorities ;) ).

To keep him quieter, you will need to block out natural daylight at sun up time - do you have a thick quilt to put over his roosting area to black out light? Another "trick " would be that cockerels can only crow IF they can stretch their necks (allegedly!) so, could you house him at night in a box which would prevent him from stretching fully? The point behind this is, you don't want the neighbours disturbed at early doors ;) but his noise isn't an issue throughout the day (they cockadoodle at all hours of the day, not just at sunrise ;) )

I have a 1/4 acre garden and would so love to have a cockerel; but, I have neighbours less than a few yards away which means it is simply not possible :( My compromise is this: I keep hens for eggs (yummy!) and if I wish to breed, I buy fertilised eggs from the farm I source my chooks from and put them under a broody for hatching.

I know how much *I* love my chooks - I don't take it for granted my neighbours will love them too ;) - nor do I love their son playing his music loud as loud during the summer time, even if *he* loves it! ;)

With neighbours, it's all about compromise.

Will any of the animal organizations take in roosters? Would the Humane Society know of a place to find a home for them? Some sort of animal sanctuary?

Will any of the animal organizations take in roosters? Would the Humane Society know of a place to find a home for them? Some sort of animal sanctuary?

Possible, of course :)

However, realistically, not that likely :(

If worst comes to worst, maybe Freemont's owner could contact the newspaper, so they would do a story on the controversy. It would help educate the public on the issue, and the sympathy factor would probably be large. It might be a way to find a good home for Freemont. Someone with a big heart might read the story and offer him a good home, especially if the newspaper had a rural circulation? Worth a try, I'll bet!

Clare

Ours crow in the dark - absence of light does not stop them. They crow for the same reason dogs bark - ours crow when ever someone drives in the driveway, they crow when the dogs bark, they crow when they think they hear something. Vibes can be real or not - best to have an honest, frank conversation. I approached all of my neighbors when we got our chicks - telling them that although we paid extra for hens when we could, there was no 100% guarantee. All of our neighbors said they love the sound! Good thing, because we have 4!

Back
Top Bottom