Neighbors moved haven't seen for days left flock.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Newcountrymomma, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Newcountrymomma

Newcountrymomma New Egg

Mar 6, 2014
    Well my neighbors moved about 4 days ago and I noticed they took their sheep with them and left their flock of 7 chickens, I waited the first day to see if they would come back, next day I called the realtor number on their sign mind you that day we got 7 inches of snow, she got in touch with them and all they did was come by and open their gates!!!! Flashforward to yesterday I put some more food over the fence for them which they happily gobbled down and waited to see if they would come back no sign of them. So this morning me and my husband went over at 5 and grabbed them all and brought them to our land and put them in our coop while we were there we could see foot prints in the snow of where it looked like someone had just walked to the coop and right back out, there was no food or water in sight not even anything that would have held them and no heat. They were in make shift coops that were very drafty and holes in the floor. Now we had planned on calling the realtor again today to see if they truly did abandon them but last night my husband chased a large coyote off our property so we knew we couldnt wait for them any longer, now my question would be was what we did ok? I mean we waited and they have not come for them along with the no food and water, they left the gates open for them to run off or the coyote to get them so in my eyes they truly abandoned them.

2. 2jsbabyfarm

2jsbabyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2013
    You might call your local deputies office and talk to them in case your neighbors come back and decide to make a fuss about it. If they do just tell them about the coyote and go from there!

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    First you did the right thing,no animal should ever be left without food/water and a safe location. Their actions in my opinion are abandonment,very sad and disgusting that they think so little of these birds.

My only concerns are that b/c you have placed them with your existing flock,you now have to watch for any medical issues,such as diseases/viruses/parasites in your own flock due to cross-contamination,plus the fact that pecking/fighting can start.Your girls will not be happy when they wake and find new girls in coop,keep an eye on them.

4. Newcountrymomma

Newcountrymomma New Egg

Mar 6, 2014
    I'm waiting for the sherrifs office to open, and we only have 2 roosters at the moment who have their own little area we just moved onto our property so have been waiting for the stores to sell chicks lol the 2 roosters we do have my husband found them wondering at his work a tree recyling area. I'm gonna watch them closely and also looked up animal abandonment for our state and by them not having food and water and the gates being open to allow them to roam onto private property they were abandoned by our laws, I just hope they can adjust ok.

5. crazyfeathers

crazyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    You did right by me but I would still call authorities. It never ceases to amaze me how people can just throw away animals when they are no longer useful or are an inconvenience. I couldn't and never would just abandon an animal, I guess some do not have a conscience.

6. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Call authorities just to cover your own butt. Tell them the entire story, and make sure THEY know that you researched the law. Maybe animal control can at least make a report about it. Then if the neighbors come back later and try anything, you have the law on your side saying you rescued ABANDONED animals. It simply covers your own butt in this case. You have a legal witness that they are left without an enclosure, without food, and without water. You can choose NOT to have them prosecuted for it, or have them prosecuted if they are ever found or seen again. That part will be up to you, just make sure animal control and the sheriff's department knows which route you want to take. But get that report filed either way, JUST IN CASE.

As for it being morally correct - yes, you did the right thing.

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    What you did- technically- was steal someone's birds. I think you are in the clear because what the former owners did was clearly a case of animal abandonment/cruelty. I wouldn't worry too much about any ramifications, but you need to document what has happened and your observations over the past several days. Some pics of their living conditions might also be helpful. Be clear, concise and not biased in your account. Document the situation as far as the lack of food and water and containment, but do not include your opinions on the suitability of the housing situation. (Chickens don't need heat and can live in some pretty shoddy conditions quite well.) I doubt you will be called to account for anything you have done thus far. Be prepared to surrender the birds back to their former owners, though. If the owners should want the birds back, they are possibly within their rights to get them back. I would not bet on that, but laws are sometimes a little crazy. This is why you need to have clear documentation of your observations.

Personally, I think you did a good thing. Thank you for stepping up and saving someone else's birds. People often think that chickens (and cats) can fend for themselves if left behind. That's not true. These animals are dependent on the people who own them for sustenance, care, and safety. It's a pretty poor excuse for a human who thinks that abandoning an animal (any animal) is acceptable.

Good luck.

8. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    The new girls will be fine,they now have a home and someone who cares about their health/happiness. You and your family have collected quite the little band of misfits,it was their lucky day when you found each and everyone of them.

Heartwarming story,keep up the good work!!

9. 2jsbabyfarm

2jsbabyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2013
    Keep us updated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by