Neighbors!PLEase Reason? page 4 #35 Thank You

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by tiki244, Aug 2, 2008.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    A couple months ago my neighbors had called the police to complain about my chickens. And again to complain about 'other things' they thought were not right. They are new home owners and quite young. (Early 20s0 I thought I was going to have to get rid of the chickens and was very stressed for a long time.

Well when I was in the backyard last night with the chickens, the wife and her 2 kids (young) came walking over and looking at the chickens. She was really nice and also said that she comes over every once in a while to look at the chickens. We talked for about 1/2 hour. I did not know how to tell her to get off my property.

Well I just dont want them over there. And short of a big fence I dont know what to do. The one complaint was about the fence so I took it down. Because the fence was pieced together they thought it was an eye sore. Mind you this is in the way way back yard.

I am pretty annoyed to say the least. Anyone with suggestions on how to keep them off my property would be greatly appreciated. (I hope I got all the info here you need) I didnt want to go into a big big story. [​IMG]

ETA: and speaking of coming over to look at the chickens, she also said she goes to her brothers place and they have chickens 9 yikes!!! biosecurity!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  2. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Let's see. These people are neighbors. You're going to presumably live next door to them for a long time. Why establish a problem where it seems there isn't one? Yes, they complained, but that was in the past. She's now charmed by your chickens, what's the problem with that?? Be as friendly as they seem to be now. I don't know, I wouldn't get upset if my neighbor came over to chat, but I guess that's just me.

3. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    I definitely reccomend trying to be a good neighbor. Love your neighbor as yourself. People like to have friendly people around them.

4. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Tell her you are happy to show the kids the chickens when you are home, and after they wash their hands before and after coming. Remind mom chickens can have yucky germs babies don't want, and maybe hint they will peck strangers.

5. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    build a fence...

we have a dog that gets out untill recently (electric fence) anyway.. after her getting out over and over and over .. animal control got involved by a neighbor way down the street aparently she was going after their rabbits.. cant blame them.. but I looked in my back yard and animal control officer was in my yard folowed her back.. gave me a warning bla bla bla told him that we were making a generous effort with this fence that she kept getting through.. he said, "tie her up" so we did.. well nosey little neighbor.. I looked out my window one morning and she was over by the fence talking to her.. and had a camera taking pictures of her.. she is going to report me too..???? but this time for doing what the guy said. (she is married has no kids and has umpteen outfits for her chihuahua... that she calls boo boo) anyway I got upset and we put up a privacy fence 3 weeks later. No more problems..

Today I love my fence, I dont have to deal with that yappy little dog barking AT me I just hear it barking at something else.. We can swim in our pool in peace. And did I mention I love my fence best investment ever.

She did this at a really bad time.. my husband had just gotten in a car accident the day before and was in the hospital, my kids were all scattered about and I had to run the soccer program that was just entering full swing. That dog was the last thing on my mind.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Electric fence... [​IMG]

I'm kidding. Just suck it up and play nice. I guess.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Personally, I'd tell her that for biosecurity reasons, I prefer they not come over the property line, then explain that people can carry diseases unbeknownst to them, on their shoes and infect your birds. That may not wash if the chickens go over to her yard, but doesn't sound like it from what you've said. I have a sign at the entrance to my main yard that everyone must spray their shoes before entering and a bottle of very mild bleach solution hanging on the tree under that sign, so biosecurity is a valid excuse.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  8. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    [​IMG] biosecurity reasons.. [​IMG] sounds so official..

9. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I agree with Ann, but I also see your point about being concerned about biosecurity, so maybe you can have it both ways by accepting her friendly overture and also using it as an opportunity to educate them on safety protocols.

When my kids have friends over they always want to see the chickens, and we have a few sets of rubber boots we use only for going into the coop. between this and lots of hand washing I think we're covered.

~Phyllis

10. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Good fences make for good neighbors

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by