Neighbors rooster coming over to visit

Nicole01

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
MN
My neighbor has a flock of chickens just across the street. We live in a very rural area and our two houses are the only ones that are fairly close together.

Just the other day her 20-22 week rooster spotted my flock of chickens and came running over to check them out. He brought a couple of his brave ladies with him. My girls were in the run, so they are protected. Every day since then, her rooster comes over and inspects my ladies.

I don't mind her flock over here at all, but I'm not sure what my girls think of it. They are not calling any sound or running away. They are very interested in the studly barred rock boy. We are planning on breeding her barred rock boy with my frizzle and keeping the chicks.

Do you think it's okay for them to hang out? What would you do? I love chickens and I'm unsure if this would cause future problems.

Well that explains why the chicken crossed the road.

The two potential problems is spread of disease and his chickens getting run over in the road. Other than that, and unless they don't quarantine new birds they introduce to flock, I'd not even worry about it.

Quote:
lau.gif

I thought about the disease, but we bought our chickens at the same time from the same farm store. The only different thing we do, is they free range more often then I do. We feed the same feed, scratch, and use the same products.

Luckily there are not many cars that pass by our houses. We are at the back end of the neighborhood and most people own a lot of 4-5 acres. Behind my house is all woods. I worry most about predators.

Besides disease or your chickens becoming roadkill. If you leve them in the run everything should be fine, but if you free range your chickens they might take a liking to the other flock and just stay with them and roost in your neighbors coop. Thats just an idea all i have to worry about is predators too.

I have a feral rooster that took up here after his two hens went missing. He comes up early each morning and jumps the picket fence to the front yard and comes up on the porch calling to me to come let out the girls. Once I get up and let them out he takes care of them till I put them back up in the evening. Then he goes back home to roost in the tall pines at the edge of my property. Soon I will have to deal with needing to keep him from some particular hens that I want eggs from...
Here he is:
61761_roo_roo.jpg

He is such a good boy

Back
Top Bottom