Neighbor's Roosters are trying to kill my Rooster :(

ChickyMomma79

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 8, 2012
Hi everybody!

We have 9 hens and a little rooster. Everybody is about 4 months old. We have successfully turned them into free range chickens :). we have two dogs and three cats and nobody chases chickens.

Here is the problem....
My neighbor got into the rooster business. I don't really know exactly what he is doing and never really ask how you make profit on roosters. The other week he saw ours was free ranging and asked how it was going, we told him it was great. Well now he is letting his roosters free range!! (he has no hens) His roosters of course come straight to our place and will not leave. We catch them and bring them back and explained to him his roosters are scaring our hens and trying to kill our baby rooster. He apologized but the roosters keep coming over everyday. We can not let our chickens out! Today is Easter and the last straw was getting up this morning and seeing my baby hens getting pulled through the fence by monster roosters. Blood everywhere :(. I am at my ropes end.

We caught 3 roosters. As of right now they are in dog crates until we can figure out what to do.

I feel silly calling the sheriff

This guy seems very nice, but just so clueless.... He is from a big city and has not lived out in the country for very long. We just moved in next door about 5 months ago. We are in Texas.

Hi everybody!

We have 9 hens and a little rooster. Everybody is about 4 months old. We have successfully turned them into free range chickens :). we have two dogs and three cats and nobody chases chickens.

Here is the problem....
My neighbor got into the rooster business. I don't really know exactly what he is doing and never really ask how you make profit on roosters. The other week he saw ours was free ranging and asked how it was going, we told him it was great. Well now he is letting his roosters free range!! ([COLOR=FF0000]he ha[/COLOR][COLOR=FF0000]s no hens[/COLOR]) His roosters of course come straight to our place and will not leave. We catch them and bring them back and explained to him his roosters are scaring our hens and trying to kill our baby rooster. He apologized but the roosters keep coming over everyday. We can not let our chickens out! Today is Easter and the last straw was getting up this morning and seeing my baby hens getting pulled through the fence by monster roosters. Blood everywhere :(. I am at my ropes end.

We caught 3 roosters. As of right now they are in dog crates until we can figure out what to do.

I feel silly calling the sheriff

This guy seems very nice, but just so clueless.... He is from a big city and has not lived out in the country for very long. We just moved in next door about 5 months ago.  We are in Texas.

Drag the guy over there and show him what they did...explain nicely that any more that come near the pen die as well. Then he can make his choice. If he is trying to make money off them he will start keeping them penned....or his inventory will start shrinking quickly. It could be that he is not understanding the seriousness of what the roosters have now done.

I am thinking that since his roosters can get into your yard, yours may do the the same thing later on. How you handle this now will determine how he handles your birds when the time comes. I would do as the previous poster suggested and show him the damage caused. Tell him that he must find a way to keep his birds on his property.

I have had similar problems with my neighbors. His have come into my yard and mine have jumped the fence into his. My favorite roo lost an eye during a fight. I suggested spraying rogue birds with the waterhose. I get his, he gets mine. We started this over a year ago and it has resolved the problem. I've found it takes about 3 good soakings to get the point across.

If the problem continues, do what you have to do to protect your flock. Good luck.

So should I have a BBQ and invite the neighbors over??? I wonder if they are light or dark meat eaters?
I am thinking about showing the guy and if nothing changes by tomorrow he may be short a few roosters. Makes me sad, they are beautiful birds but something must be done.

Thanks for the replies!

Last edited:
I free range IN MY YARD.My yard is fenced. I would tell the neighbor(perhaps) that the roosters are going into your yard, and he needs to keep them in HIS yard. One polite warning.Then I would make them disappear quickly and quietly as each comes into the yard.I would not wait till and injury or death. Just make problem go away.Until then consider some of that portable electric fencing to put around the chickens.Gives them some protection as you remove the problem.Or even put the little roo in a portable coop/run for his protection.Whatever is easier/cheaper.

It is never a joy to get rid of an animal,but you are the only one who gives a hoot about yours.Pleading for someone to do the right thing over and over is a waste.One time then solve it yourself.Just be sure to sss.Even a nice neighbor will go all NFH on you when you taken down something of theirs.Shoot,I have seen people go mean when you tell them not to mow over the property line!

Time to get rid of the roos quickly and quietly.

Last edited:
ChickyMomma79,

Neighbors roosters coming to your property causing trouble can be dealt with like dealing with predators. Otherwise somethings not making sense. How old are your hens and his roosters? Normally adult roosters without hens will not attack hens and usually will not harm chicks either.

We have a good fence between us and them. His roosters can fly right over.

My flock is around 4 months. His roos look to be almost a year. They are in prime to have their own families.
I don't think they are attacking the hens. They are trying to pull them through the coop fence.
The neighbor only has roosters, no hens for his mens, and I know the only reason they are over here is for my girls.

My little rooster is trying to defend his ladies and the big roosters are more than eager to fight him. They were going at it through the fence. I am wanting to say my rooster is 4-5 months, but I could be wrong. He is almost crowing now.

They are all still in rooster jail way on the other end of my property. They crow a lot so I am surprised the neighbor hasn't noticed the quiet morning. My husband is thinking about talking to the neighbor one more time. He wants to see about clipping their wings and see if he needs any "help" with what ever coop he has over there. These birds have been over here for almost 24 hours and no one has come looking for them. That right there tells me they maybe unwanted due to the low profit in the rooster business,lol!

I am ready for some fresh chicken....

Thanks again for the replies. Yesterday I was feeling pretty upset.

Last edited:
If they're flying over the fence, maybe you can clip their wings before you return them. I'm no expert, but you can look it up online. Just clip their wings and put them back over the fence...

Back
Top Bottom