Neighbors Stupid Dog

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by happyheart, Sep 12, 2008.

1. happyheart

happyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Thornville, Oh
    Ok heres the concern I know of at least 4 sneak attacks this dog has taken on my chickens. Even my other neighbors have gotten involved and put my girls up out of harms way. This dog comes over from my far neighbors house the one with the electric fence and the owner who is COP who clearly knows the laws and still his dog is always running loose. I dont want to call the dog warden and be a bad neighbor but what else can I do. Oh and yes they are fully aware of it and think it is funny! BTW I have a 130lb great dane who doesnt leave my yard because she knows better but some people are just rude!

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    you aren't being a 'bad' neighbor if you call the animal control. it's your right and you need a paper trail. call EVERY time it is out and make no exceptions. it will be the smartest thing you can do. also, your neighbors should call also, regardless if the dog comes on YOUR or THEIR property. if the dog is off leash, off it's property, it's against the law.

also, you should try to snap some pics of it out of it's yard. words aren't nearly as good a pic. then show him a copy and also, call the animal control again.

hope this works out well for you!

3. kusine

kusine New Egg

Sep 9, 2008
    Central Ohio
    For the dog's sake as well as yours, you should call the dog warden every time you see that poor dog out. Loose dogs can get hit by cars, eat rat poison, get attacked by other dogs ... all sorts of nasty things. If his people don't care enough about him to keep him safe, then it's up to you to be the responsible one and get him somewhere safe, even if it's the pound.

The poor thing is just being a dog; it's his owners that are at fault. Good luck!

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Do like I did to my neighbor. I mailed a courteous letter to them that stated that their dogs were on my property harrassing my animals. I informed them that it is with great regret that I will have to dispatch any and all strays found harrassing the birds and notify the authorities. I explained that I had no choice because of the harm done to my birds on previous occasions. I also told them in the letter that I would hold them responsible for any and all damages done by their dog. I also told them these things verbally, but putting it in writing makes it a written record. I fully intend to carry out my threats. Don't let the fact that this person is in law enforcement put you off. He has no more rights than you. If he doesn't care about your pets, why should you care about his?

5. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

As a policeman your neighbor has more of a duty than anyone to follow the law. How does he expect to be respected by the community if he doesn't? It sounds as if he is power-tripping and I would second the suggestion to contact the animal control officer and report him every single time you see it out. Make sure to write it down, too. If that doesn't work, and as a last resort, as he is in law enforcement you may be able to go over his head and report it to his superiors. His actions are illegal and in poor judgement, and police are kept to an even higher standard than the rest of us. But I would try everything else first.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Call the animal control.

7. FlockEweFarm

FlockEweFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Flagstaff,AZ
    Quote:Angie is dead-on right! The one thing most cops fear more than pulling over their own momma, is getting called to,"Stand tall before the MAN,(or woman)" and explain why their senior officer had to field a call from an upset member of the public over their bad behavior, some deparments even jump on you if your kids act up, let alone your dogs! If he gets a complaint in his jacket, it could cost him a raise, promotion, or that choice detail that he has had his eye on, or he might get stuck on months of graveyards. I seriously doubt he would find it very funny for long if animal control showed up in his yard to answer a complaint, and if he did, then take it on up the chain of command and call his supervisor, or a nice open letter to the local paper is also very, very effective, and quite often you can remain anonymous. When I was an officer, I was told that ," You are never off duty, you may take off the uniform, but you represent your badge, your oath and your sheriff 24/7, so you better act like you are being watched 24/7, because there is always some member of the public looking for their chance to make the evening news by making you look like an a_ _" I still live that way, its hard to get over that feeling of being held to a higher standard, and perhaps he needs a reminder of his oath.

8. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    Having had a recent attack by two dogs that ended in the death of my rooster, I have no sympathy for people who rudely let their animals roam and harrass other animals, especially if it has been brought to their attention. If their dogs ended up missing or injured I am sure they would be upset, but they can't understand how those of us who care for our animals feel when their ignorance ends in the harm of OUR animals. I still have not found the owners of the dogs that killed my rooster, but all my neighbors said the exact same thing, "If they come back, shoot them". I don't know that I could kill someone's pet, but I would at least attempt to catch the dog so I could ID the owners, and hold them accountable with the proper AUTHORITIES, cop or no cop. Some of the other folks above offer some great advice. It is just unfortunate that they can't respect thier neighbors. I just hope that you don't suffer a loss like we did (as my 6 and 8 year old daughters unfortunately had to witness).

9. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I guess I would talk to the owner first, who knows, maybe he would take steps to keep the dog from wandering if he was confronted with it? However, if that didnt work, I would definitely call animal control or whatever there is in your area.

10. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    If the dog is friendly catch it and use some of that hair color that sprays on, hot pink should do it. Once had a neighbor that let his"wouldn't hurt a fly" Chow run loose. He looked real good with a Poodle clip and was never back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by