1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

neighbors

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by vancefarm, Oct 15, 2013.

1. vancefarm

vancefarm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2013
    I have 6 roosters, 5 hens and 4 ducks they do make a bit of noise, I also free range and sometimes my chickens and ducks go into the neighbors yard. They have been shooting at them with water and nerf guns both adults and kids. Now every time they come out the roosters will not stop crowing. The kids have been chasing them and I did warn them that the roosters might fight back. I have 1 1/2 acres of land and want them to be free. Is there any way to keep them in my yard other than a fence?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    There's a lot of sense in the old saying, "Good fences make for good neighbors." 6 roosters to five hens is an overload - pun intended.

1 person likes this.
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Well, the neighbors are trying their way to keep your birds on your property and it's not working. It's really your responsibility to keep your own animals on your own property. Your birds on their land is no different than their dogs coming onto your land. You need to be a responsible animal owner and confine your animals to your own property. Fences are usually the only way to do that.

2 people like this.
  4. Cluky

Cluky Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    first of rooster to en ratio is off. you need to make sure your flock is happy on their own. also if you choose to free range you need to make sure your flock is contained an not going into your neighbors property if they are not ok with it, which seems like they are not. sorry to say, you will need a fence.

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    [​IMG]
    I was going to say some things, but donrae said them all first

6. vancefarm

vancefarm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2013
    Well I guess a fence is needed. I am also going to bring the number of roosters down as well we bought a straight run and that's what I got. Thank you all [​IMG]

7. bdjh

bdjh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Winnipeg
    Remember too, any chickens in their yard are fair game for their kitchen. Also, if they go after your roosters in their yard and the roosters inflict any damage, it's all on you.

Fences.

That being said, they're scumbags for shooting at your chickens (who are too dumb to learn), when a neighborly conversation would solve the issue. Nobody wants to talk these days......

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  8. Bear Foot Farm

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: I'd have to disagree with that.

Shootiing them with a watergun or a "nerf" gun won't harm them, but it WILL get them out of the yard RIGHT NOW, whereas a conversation really does nothing until the owner takes action.

It would appear this has been an ongoing problem but there's still no fence

1 person likes this.
  9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yeah, lots of folks on these boards use water guns or sprinklers to try to deter birds from going to specific areas. It's not harmful to the bird at all. And the neighbors should NEVER have to ask to have animals stay on the owner's property. I agree, it would have been nice, but it's not the neighbors job.

10. Bear Foot Farm

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: Exactly!
    Just be glad it's only a water gun

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by