Neighbour Dog...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by elizabethbinary, Dec 31, 2010.

1. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    This is a small rant.

The neighbour TEN OR SO houses down lets his dog 'walk itself'... y'know, because it's only a small dog and 'stays off the street' (it doesn't). The first time I got this dog in my house once I called the rspca and put up notices before knowing who's dog it was and he was ANGRY I didn't just let the dog 'go back home'. He accused me of kidnapping it!!! Apparently *everyone* knows it's HIS dog. Whatever we live in rental houses, nobody does.

Anyway today (about 6 mo later than above) his little dog BROKE into my yard, dug a hole and KILLED one of my ducklings. A beautiful heart-shaped spotted one. Died of shock, poor thing, as there was only a little scrape from the dog carrying it across the yard. Go Elvis nearly killed the dog back, but I digress.

My husband is now out giving the man a "talking to". I'm a bit nervous! My husband is SCARY when "talking to" people. [​IMG]

I'm never going to see that dog again at least....

Poor duckling.

2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    [​IMG] That just stinks, big time. Hope your hubby scares the pooh out of the guy! Enough to keep the dog in check!!

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

My husband is the same way. I have to walk away from him. Next time maybe the dog should find his way to a shelter in the next county!

4. elizabethbinary

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Aw man! As it turns out it didn't belong to this neighbour - it belongs to nobody. Some lady down the road has been keeping it trying to find it's owner but it escaped from her. She's HORRIFIED and tried to pay but we wouldn't have it - not her dog! She said she's SO sorry it killed our duck... man now I feel awful.

Good news though - when looking for the dog my husband said it killed one of our ducks and ALL the neighbours were sad!! They all said they LOVE the little ducks and chickens in our yard and it's sad the dog broke in and they were sorry. Not that I'm happy my neighbours are sad but I would've SWORN they didn't like our chooks! Not true! They just don't like our lawn! haha. [​IMG]

5. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    When it comes to my animals I'm the one people should fear!! [​IMG] I am only 4'11" but they are MY BABIES! [​IMG] My husband? He is 6'2" and 225lbs. but a sweetheart. He just stands behind me and looks good for backup.

So sorry about your duck. [​IMG]

6. elizabethbinary

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Quote:Man I wish I could get away with tiny scary lady syndrome!

Luckily my man is HUGE so it works very well for me. And he has 'the voice'.

Ugh just found out the dog pulled out rocks to get in so a bunch of my hens got out too... thank goodness for lovely neighbours!!

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:Same here....while not 6'2", he is the intimidating green beret and HE is the nice one. I am the one to watch out for. LOL

I am sorry about you little duckling elizabethbinary. I hope you catch the dog and it finds its way to a shelter....away from your birds.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  8. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

It's the quiet ones you have to watch out for...

So sorry about your baby, but great news about your neighbors support.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by