Neighbourly complaints about 'Egg Songs'..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Totes Quackers, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Totes Quackers

Totes Quackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Melbourne
    Hello BYC! [​IMG]
    I was just listening to some beautiful 'egg songs' coming from my backyard and am getting worried about my neighbour who complains about EVERYTHING! [​IMG] Sure we all have one of those.. Anyone actually had complaints about their chickens egg songs? [​IMG]

2. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Maybe you can win them over before they complain with some fresh eggs? My neighbors are fine with the chickens, and just asked that we don't wake them up at 4 am with rooster crows. [​IMG]

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Beauty is in the eye [or ear] of the beholder. Not everyone will agree that the sound of chickens is beautiful. That said, if local zoning allows you to have chickens your neighbor's opinion doesn't really matter does it?

4. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    my hens are so loud sometimes, for sure it has to bug our neighbors, but then again their dogs bug us with their consistent barking, so hopefully it's a wash!

5. Lovable Chicks

Lovable Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Quote:This is how I feel. Most of my neighbors don't hear them or say anything but some of their dogs seem to bark constantly.

6. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Here there are wild chickens everywhere, so nowhere are there chicken/rooster-free neighborhoods! You can hear roosters crowing and chickens squawking, far and near, 24/7, so it becomes background noise. I trap and shoot the wild ones that venture on my property and into my gardens constantly, which helps at least to maintain a relative sort of buffer zone around our home so at least they're not right outside the bedroom window...usually...

So understandably, I don't have much sympathy for people who are annoyed by hearing chickens... [​IMG]

7. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Quote:This is how I feel. Most of my neighbors don't hear them or say anything but some of their dogs seem to bark constantly.

The dogs in our neighborhood are a LOT louder than the chickens ever are. They bark all night long sometimes. I do hear a rooster about three blocks down if I'm outside, but I can't hear him in the house.

8. Pickles03

Pickles03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2010
    Niagara Falls, ON
    The wild birds in our neighbourhood make tonnes more noise than my chickens ever could!

9. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Since we are allowed to have chickens I just say I'm going for it. So far my neighbors can't hear anything which is shocking considering Maude's egg song is more like an Opera.

10. ketcham

ketcham Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Marshallville,Ohio
    I live in the "country" and hear dogs barking all the time.I do have a neighbor behind me that has chickens and hear crowing in the summer.I like it.Now I have my own crowing to "counter"that!!! Mine free range in my yard,,,neighbors like seeing them run around.So do I!!!! Kevin ps waiting for eggs!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by