Neighbours nuisance goats

DukesDucks

Crowing
Oct 6, 2019
Eastern Ontario, Canada
First let me say I like goats. My problem is with the neighbours goats and it is his fault not theirs. Again today the goats were loose on the road. Luckily it is a dead-end, country road but some people drive too fast and it is an accident waiting to happen. They were on my property and ate all the buds off my lilac bushes.
Talking to him, results is a "Gosh sorry about that". He is also away all day. I don't think it is my responsibility to make my property goat proof.
My question is, Is there anything I can do, spread, spray, etc. that would discourage them on my property.

I dont think there is anything you can easily do to your property to discourage goats. Goats are incredibly smart, and will scale most fences to get to your lilac bush. You'd have to build a high fence with nothing on the one side they could jump on to scale the fence, and better yet wire small enough so they can't climb it. Not an easy task which shouldn't be your responsibility.
Maybe have a very clear chat with your neighbor outlining the problems of having loose goats. Make it seem like its a problem for him rather than you.
If someone comes down the road to fast and hits one of his goats, then that messes up that persons car, that person could easily sue the owner for having the goat loose on the road. A friend of mine had the same sad situation with one of her dogs. The dog wasn't even in the road, it was on the edge, not crossing the white line. 😔
He obviously isn't to concerned about your Lilac bush, so maybe making it seem like a liability to him would help the argument. Hopefully you can help him understand, good luck!

I have owned a few goats a couple different times but I am no expert. I see goats more as a browser unlike cows who are grazers. So, they going to go if there is not some sort of physical bearing to keep them from it. Electric fence works really well. However, that is really the owners responsibility.

Good luck. You might check what the regulations are in your neck of the woods about loose livestock. From experience I can tell you that not only will the goats denude your lilacs, but they will prune your roses and eat your garden.

First let me say I like goats. My problem is with the neighbours goats and it is his fault not theirs. Again today the goats were loose on the road. Luckily it is a dead-end, country road but some people drive too fast and it is an accident waiting to happen. They were on my property and ate all the buds off my lilac bushes.
Talking to him, results is a "Gosh sorry about that". He is also away all day. I don't think it is my responsibility to make my property goat proof.
My question is, Is there anything I can do, spread, spray, etc. that would discourage them on my property.
Your choices are these. Get some electrified poultry fencing to protect your property and report the loose livestock. With any luck the authorities will haul them off. Your neighbor obviously isn't going to pen them up.

Maybe have a very clear chat with your neighbor outlining the problems of having loose goats. Make it seem like its a problem for him rather than you.
Thank you to everyone for the advice. My neighbour is basically a nice guy. I and other neighbours have reported his loose livestock (not just goats) in the past. No much seems to be done though. I really like the idea of approaching the problem as one of his liability.

Thank you to everyone for the advice. My neighbour is basically a nice guy. I and other neighbours have reported his loose livestock (not just goats) in the past. No much seems to be done though. I really like the idea of approaching the problem as one of his liability.
You might want to get a brochure on electrified poultry fencing and give it to him. It is easy to put up and take down and it should keep the goats in. He may not know such a thing even exists. Premier carries it.

This must be very annoying. This is 100% on the owner but many times we have to deal with the consequences of other people not taking responsibility.

This may not be feasible for you but, you could get a motion sensing sprayer that attaches to a water hose. Goats hate getting wet and a good spray to the face should discourage any more visits.

It might be possible to catch the goats when they are on your property, and take them to Animal Control (or whatever you call the place that deals with stray dogs and other animals). He would then have to pay to get them back.

Of course that will not work if you cannot catch the goats, or cannot transport them, or if Animal Control will not take them.

Also, check the laws for your area.
Many US states have rules about loose livestock-- sometimes you are allowed to pen them on your property, notify the owner, and charge the owner for the cost of you keeping the livestock until he gets them. (It differs a little from one state to another, with some even stating how much money should be charged for catching & caring for the animals.)

Back
Top Bottom