Neither I nor my chickens look like my profile pic

Don Alejo

Chirping
May 15, 2015
My introduction to chickens was unfortunately NOT a happy one. On my uncles farm where as a young boy I spent some summers it was my task to get the eggs each morning. First I had to navigate past what was a very ferocious rooster. Once in the hen house I was confronted by 60 to 80 unhappy chickens who resented my incursions into their nests and often showed their displeasure by pecking me.

Well things are much better now. About four years ago on a whim we bought three cute little bundles of feathers who not only tolerated our early ignorance and mistakes but thrived in spite of them. They brought great joy into our lives and I learned how fun, clever and adaptable they were. I am a psychologist and I can attest that chickens really DO have unique personalities I could go on but if you have read this far you already know what I mean.. One of the trio, Rosie, still survives.and is a rewarding pet that gets held, given treats,petted and carried around with us. In return she still provides us with an egg a day, and all the chicken love she can show us.

Now we have eight new chickies. (two each of sex-linked reds and whites,Black Orpingtons and a Rhode Island Red.)

When at the market check out line I am trapped by someone with pictures and stories of their grandchildren I intend to push multiple photos of our growing chickens and detailed stories of their intelligence and amusing personalities.

I have come a long way since the farm!
Don Alejo

Last edited:

Yorkshire Coop

BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Aug 16, 2014
UK
My Coop
My Coop
Hi :welcome Don

Glad you could join the flock! It really does sound like you have come on from your farm experience of chickens. I too had a similar event when I was younger with various birds. Untill 3 years ago I was bird phobic mainly due to childhood misfortunes. My first 2 hens changed all that and my chicken adventure were under way and have grown and grown. Congratulations on your new chicks :celebrate I love raising chicks it's such a rewarding and fun experience and I'm sure you will too. You can really see the personalities develop as they grow.

Wishing you the very best of luck in the future and enjoy BYC :frow

drumstick diva

Still crazy after all these years.
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 26, 2009
Out to pasture
Hi Don, nice to meet you. I can just see the look on someone's face when you show them pictures of your chickens. Turn about is fair play.
lau.gif
That avatar rooster is one we probably all have nightmares about. So glad you joined the flock
wee.gif

whoop whoop

Songster
Apr 26, 2015
Rainbow Nation
Heyho, that is some Rooster, couldn't call him a roo it would be too kind. Are those piecings in him comb? I am definetly sticking with my bantams, they are balls of fluff - this guy would scare me to death
welcome-byc.gif
Bobbi1979 also said she had a Rooster that went for her kids, I am so naive I didn't know there were chickens and CHICKENS!!

Teila

Bambrook Bantams
6 Years
Apr 15, 2013
Forrest Beach, FNQ, Australia
Howdy Don Alejo and Welcome to BYC

At two years, I am still also a relative newbie to chickens and still learning on a daily basis.

I like to refer to their unique characteristics as ‘chickenality’
wink.png

Regardless of how bad my day has been I can walk out the back door (I work from home) and within seconds the gals are guaranteed to have me smiling and the earlier part of the day forgotten.

While I like the idea of retaliating grandchildren pictures with chicken pictures .. we never tire of chicken pictures on BYC if you run out of grandparents or do not go to the market for a while
wink.png

Cynthia12

Always Grateful
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Apr 11, 2010
Utah

It's my grandmother's place that I had fun at wit chickens, and yes, there was a mean ol roo. Well, we knew how to get to the nest boxes. Hurry inside the coop when that guy was around one side. Then, hurry and shut the door. One day my sister came in with some real beat up legs from that rooster. Didn't get the door shut in time. Grandpa was so mad. He went straight out with his ax. Dinner, you know what we had for dinner.

Photos are fun to post..I can't post enough. Have fun here!

Top Bottom