Nellie Needs Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by [email protected], Jul 14, 2011.

1. Scylla@aol.com

[email protected] Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've noticed that Nellie has been lethargic lately. I thought it was because I put too much DE in her dust dish and she probably inhaled it. I washed her and her cage, and took it out immediately. Now I see that she can't stand, and flops down as soon as I let her be. She uses her wings to try and balance herself and barely move on her own. She's very sleep all the time. There seems to be sores behind each of her legs, behind her knees or hocks or whatever it's called. Yesterday I really thought she was going to die.
    I know nothing about chickens and I really don't want to be the cause of her death.

Is this something treatable? What should I do for her??

2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    The sores are on the back of her legs? I'm thinking scaley leg mite and the general overall weakness due to other external parasites.

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Scaly leg mite would cause raised rough scales on her legs. Actually the stuff used for earmites for dogs and cats would work if rubbed on her legs. Some people just use vegetable oil for a minor case. I don't think I have ever heard of them causing lethargy though. It doesn't seem like DE would cause such problems as long as is was food grade DE (which anything from a pet store would be).

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  4. scratch'n'peck

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I think I remember now you saying that she had a fecal test when you took her to the vet last time, so that would probably rule out worms, but you could call the vet to double check that. For external parasites you can dust the chicken with sevin dust. I have even seen people say that their vet recommended it. I have heard some say that they sprinkle the dust in a bag and then put the chicken in the bag with the head sticking out. That way they rub the powder in without getting it on the chicken's face.

5. scratch'n'peck

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    At feed stores they also have Permethrin poultry dust usually, which can be used instead of Sevin.

6. scratch'n'peck

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Have you seen Nellie eating and drinking?

Other things people do to help ill chickens are to feed moist items like cooked rolled oats mixed with regular feed or scrambled eggs. You can also give her three drops of POLYVISOL Enfamil formulation (childrens A-B-D3 liquid vitamins) in beak once a day for a week and taper off the next. Offer a live culture yogurt free choice.

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Was it food grade DE?
    JJ

8. scratch'n'peck

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by