Nellie pecked my daughter in the eye...

LuckysMom

Songster
12 Years
Jun 14, 2007
South Carolina
...but she's okay. Nellie flew up on Emily's shoulder and Emily turned to look at her and just that quick Nellie pecked her eye!
ep.gif
She called me up crying and I rushed home. When I got home her eye looked okay, just a little red from crying. She could see okay so I didn't panic and take her to the emergency room. This happened Friday and by the next morning her eye was fine, didn't hurt anymore.
We don't know why Nellie flew up on her like that. But they are used to seeing Emily carrying a bowl of warm mash into the coop for them, and sometimes she holds the hens and lets them eat from the bowl in her hands. So maybe Nellie just got over excited. Well lesson learned - if a hen flys up and lands on your shoulder, turn your head away!

yeah she was probably just excited to see her, and then noticed the small movement of her iris. My quail I really watch when I am holding them as one of them really like to watch my eyes, I am afraid they might do the same. Little kittens too you have to watch how close to your eyes they get. I was watching tv once, laying on the couch, and my little black one came over and whacked me right in the eye. It hurt but my eye was ok.

Carmilla loved to get in my face and try to peck my labret and septum ring...and my shiny shiny glasses.

Glad your girl is okay. I am sure she was just happy to see her and was wondering just where that yummy food was!

if a hen flys up and lands on your shoulder, turn your head away!

Glad Emily's O.K.. For everyone who likes (doesn't mind) having chooks on the head or shoulder please take heed, and caution family and friends: Chickens think eyeballs are grapes (I'm guessing it isn't so much the shape, but the reflection and movement). A floppy brimmed hat is helpful, Luckysmom's advice better yet. FCM's glasses would be very good. Chooks will sometimes peck at teeth and forcibly remove earrings as well - be prepared!

I'll say it again: That's one eyepatch that will be hard to explain...​

Now THAT is cute FutureChickenMan!!!! Wear those safety glasses folks, lol!! I have one hen named Mallie that likes to get right up near my face and watch for opportunity to snatch my little sparkly earrings out! She nearly tore it through my earlobe the first time - with the back on it! I pay close attention to that now, to say the least!! Glad your daughter wasnt seriously hurt, those beaks are so sharp!

Nice to hear Emily's ok. That was scary though! I heard of people getting corneal damage because of this....

Also, don't wear earrings when you're going to put them on your shoulder! They are very curious and peck at anything new. You might now what happens then.
th.gif

I think I'm going to stop putting them in my shoulder from now...

Back
Top Bottom