Neomycin sulfate 200mg oral solution dosage

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 7&8, Dec 9, 2013.

1. 7&8

7&8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    Any wise people out there that can help me with a dosage for neomycin sulfate 200mg oral solution? As in, how much neomycin to add to 1 gal. water?

Thanks in advance,

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    How many birds are you treating?

-Kathy

3. 7&8

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    Hi Kathy,

I have one hen. Thought it was sour crop, but now am thinking it's enteritis. The only thing Tractor Supply had that was close to something that might help her is an oral suspension of neomycin sulfate 200 mg equivalent to 140 mg neomycin. I know it's a long shot. She is still drinking water.

Have searched everywhere for a dosage for poultry...no luck. The bottle says:
    1.2 ml/ 25 lbs. so, it will be mere drops/ gallon of water for a maybe 4 lb. hen?!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If you have the 200mg/ml then the following should be true:

The book I have says 11mg/kg in birds, so that's about .06ml/kg, I think. Four pounds is about 2kg, so I'd give her .12ml orally, or maybe divide that up and give it to her .04ml every 6 hours. Make sense?

This link might have more dosing info:
    http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/09_therapeutic_agents.pdf

200mg/ml means:
    1ml = 200mg
    .5ml = 100mg
    .25ml = 50mg
    .1ml = 20mg
    .05 = 10mg
    .025 = 5mg

Please, double check my math, lol.

-Kathy

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    From: http://www.jefferspet.com/neomycin-oral-solution/camid/liv/cp/16369/
    Neomycin Sulfate 200 mg per mL
    For the treatment and control of scours caused by E. coli susceptible to Neomycin Sulfate in cattle (except veal calves), swine, sheep and goats. Give 1 tsp for every 100 lbs of body weight. May be added to drinking water. May be given non-diluted or diluted with water or milk. 30-day slaughter for cattle and goats, 20 days for swine and sheep.

6. 7&8

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    Holy smokes! Thanks for doing all the math! It looks reasonable...but now I need a TB syringe! All I have is a 3ml. syringe. How in the world am I going to get close to accurate with that?!!:rolleyes:

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    This is from the Jefferspet website:

Individual Animal Treatment: To provide 10 mg neomycin sulfate per pound of body weight, mix 5 mL (1 tsp*) in water or milk for each 100 pounds of body weight. Administer daily either as a drench in divided dosages or in the drinking water to be consumed in 12-24 hours.
    COMPOSITION: Each mL contains:
    Neomycin Sulfate

200 mg​
    (equivalent to 140 mg neomycin base)

Oops, guess I was a little late with this post.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Go to a pharmacy and ask for one. If they won't sell you one, ask for a 1ml oral dosing syringe. If I have time later maybe I'll figure out how many drops from a 3ml syringe equal .025ml. I think I did it before and it was about one drop.

-Kathy

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    My hillbilly method of getting that dose would be to take 1 ml or 200mg and put it in a small jar. Then I would add 19 ml of water to the jar and mix it up . Then take your syringe and draw up 1 ml and that will equal 10 mg which you would then add to the water. Every day for 3 or 4 days mix a new batch, and throw the rest away. Just remember that she needs to take that whole amount (10 mg ) in one day, so it should only be put into the amount of water she will drink in one day--I wouldn't put that into a gallon, and maybe less than a quart. You could probably even feed her the 1 ml in small doses throughout the day or weaken it more.

1 person likes this.
  10. 7&8

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    Thanks so much. Yep. Another reminder of how I need to make up a treatment kit and have it stocked! Truth is, I used to cull more often. The recent & wildly successful crop surgery has changed my mind. These girls are definitely worth spending time on! I have way less going on this time of year, too.

I used the 3ml syringe I had. Drew up as close to 0.1 ml of the aforementioned neomycin solution as I could; sucked up a bit of h20; put this in the base of the red chick waterer that she's happy using. She drank most of it.

I found her a week ago on the floor of the coop in the corner at roost time. I brought her home, inside, in the bottom half of a medium dog carrier so she could have a little wood stove therapy and peace & quiet. I watched her for a day. She ate wetted crumbles and drank water - excessively at times. She regurgitated now and again. I suspected maybe sour crop. Her droppings were diminutive as her intake was decreased. She has been weak, but will stand.

I started her on Miconazole treatment for the maybe sour crop. Last night, she was as good as she's been all week. This morning, I saw & smelled the very stinky poop that has me thinking enteritis. She will take a bit of plain yogurt; I don't offer her much, but thought a little good bacteria couldn't hurt.

I'd like to think I practice good husbandry...clean coops, feed, water. She did just come through a moderate molt.

Tonight will be her final Miconazole treatment. Will just have to see...continuing supportive care...cosy...warm...[​IMG]
    Thank you for your assistance! Maureen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by