Neon blue earlobes? in a grey bantam silkie

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by grandmachicken, May 5, 2009.

1. grandmachicken

grandmachicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Williamson, GA
    I have an 8-week old bantam silkie whole coloring is a mottled grey, in the last few weeks he/she has developed bright neon blue circles just below and behind the eyes, I presume these are earlobes? But what does it mean?? Neon blue eggs? [​IMG]

2. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    I think all silkies have blue earlobes.
    Pics?!

3. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Nope. Just a freaky silkie thing. They'll lay beige-ish colored eggs. Aren't the turquiose earlobes cool though?! I love them. [​IMG]

4. grandmachicken

Sep 15, 2008
    Williamson, GA
    Definitely turquoise and so pretty! I hope it's a pullet, it came in a group of 4 assorted bantams. One I know is a beautiful silly buff cochin roo (crowed for the first time yesterday!), one is a salmon faverolle, one a mottled/partridge something I'm not sure of yet, and the last one is the silkie. She is very meek and sweet, and after researching the last few minutes, now I know why she likes to roost on the ground. I guess it's a silkie thing, too?

I let them all free range, and they were raised at the same time as two barred rocks and two golden laced wyandottes, who are getting so much bigger than them! But they are all still such good friends, so much fun to watch.

Christi

5. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    They're supposed to be that way! [​IMG]

I clipped her head so she could see better. I think I'll shave her next...
    [​IMG]

6. grandmachicken

Sep 15, 2008
    Williamson, GA
    Never!! What a beautiful bird!

7. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Aw...thank you! I got her and 3 others for setting. I still don't have an attachment to them...and I have YET to get them to set. I think someone forgot to send them the memo...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by