Neosporin on sutures? *graphic pics*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Oblio13, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Well, yet again a dog got into our chickens. Seems to be my curse.

Here are before and after pics of one that's torn up. I put in a few loose sutures (sloppy, I know) and slapped a couple butterfly closures on top for good measure.

Here's my question: Should I put some sort of topical antibacterial stuff like Neosporin on it, or just leave it dry?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  2. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Yep, and I would recommend flushing the wound with sterile water before you close next time.

3. WrenAli

WrenAli Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Lebanon, OR
    I would trim what you can around it and leave it dry. Just watch it for infection.

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I would start the hen on antibiotics immediately. That's a very nasty wound. Neosporin likely won't help on a wound that large. Perhaps spraying it with BlueKote or Granulex...I prefer Granulex. I would put her in a small cage by herself, give her electrolytes in her water and Poly-Vi-Sol three times a day for a few day.

5. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Oooooooooooohhh poor baby. That just breaks my heart to see a wound like that.

You are taking such good care of her.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  6. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    I would rinse with saline daily, then apply the neosporin. Wounds need to be moist to heal properly, the neo will help hold in moisture. BTW, I am a nurse and most nurses on here will agree. If you let it dry and there is infection you may not know until it is too late.

7. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Done. She's alert and eating this morning, so I'm hoping there are no internal injuries. One of the sutures has pulled apart and there's a wide gap in the skin, but I think I'm going to leave it alone. Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  8. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Quote:Here's a nurse that agrees. That's why I always use Granulex for animal wounds. It has some antibiotic properties along with some enzymes treating dead tissue. I would put her in warm saline everyday to soak the nasty junk away, clean it up well and apply the neosporin or granulex. You are going to have to be vigilent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by