1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Neosporin Ques.!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ms~Silkie~Girl, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    What kind of Neosporin do you put on your chickens when they have a wound?

2. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I've read not to use the kind that has the pain relief, but we've used it - in a pinch and in moderation - without a problem. I'd say in an emergency use what you have but if you are going out to buy it, get the kind without the pain relief.

3. tulie13

tulie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    Don't use anything that has a -caine pain reliever in it, like Lidocaine, or Benzocaine. But supposedly the Pramoxine HCl is OK to have in there. If you have a tube that has the Pramoxine in it, I would use it. If you are going to buy some specifically for your chickens, just buy the stuff without it. Good luck! [​IMG]

4. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    Thanks! i was just wondering because i want to have it handy, i haven't needed it yet (surprisingly, with my luck)

5. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I use neosporin with pain killer. The -caine pain meds are toxic, but Neosporin doesn't use 'caines. As stated previously, Pramoxine HCl is not toxic to chickens. However, other triple antibiotics commonly use one of the -caine's for the the pain killer, so double check your tube before applying any triple anitbiotic with pain killer. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    I bought the Neo that you hang on your keychain. it is a sprayon.
    I also bought a Spray Can of BluKote. which I am glad I had. the hens have started pecking My roos butt feathers and have him red, bloody and with sores. I gave him a bath today and then towel dried, then Blukoted him. he is resting in a small Kennel in the bathroom until he is completely dry, probably be tomorrow before I get to release him with his ladies. it 9 above outside, but it was below zero yesterday and I don't want him sick.

[​IMG]

7. amyduck

amyduck Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2011
    Thanks all - I just freaked when I read somewhere else that we aren't supposed to use the neosporin with pain reliever... which I used a couple of hours ago when I was treating very early stage bumble foot. I was very relieved to quickly find this post and read that Pramoxine hydrochloride is okay! I was imagining waking my hen up and trying to wash it off of her foot by myself. Whew! Now I can go to sleep without worrying!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by