Neosporin update - it's working!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Moselle, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Moselle

Moselle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    My week old chicks seem to be about done with their pasting. I sure hope. I've been checking/washing them twice a day but on a couple of them, their bums seem a bit dry and crusty(?) maybe that's the way to put it. I had been putting olive oil on them, but I wonder if something like Neosporin/triple antibiotic ointment would be better. Is it safe? I'm just not sure what else I can do to help them. [​IMG]

They seem healthy and happy enough otherwise.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I did once yesterday and I put on aloe vera gel which was recomended to me from this site.. I was just thinking vitamin E capsule broken open would be healing, it always is when I put it on myself.
    The other thing is some people were thinking if you put that stuff on it might attract the other chicks to pick at the butt, but mine didnt. So I suppose you might want to watch for that. My chicks were really sore looking though.
    Which reminds me............must...go...check....again.... [​IMG]

3. Moselle

Jan 17, 2008
    I haven't seen any picking amongst themselves - but I don't watch them every second [​IMG] I guess Neosporin would not be as appealing. I worry so much that their little behinds won't heal properly.

And then, I worry that they are ALL having proper poos, and will sit and watch for a while hoping to catch them. [​IMG]

4. modenacart

modenacart Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2008
    New Bern, NC
    We put olive oil on the one that had pasty butt and now she has some bloody spots on her butt where something has pecked her.

5. Moselle

Jan 17, 2008
    The Neosporin seems to be working. No pasting this morning, but more than that, their little bums are looking much better. I thought the olive oil would keep their bottoms from getting dry/chapped, but there must have been some picking going on that I wasn't seeing.

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Always keep a tube of neosporin in your chicken med. box......one of the greats antibotic creams for chicken wounds....

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Did you ever think you'd be doing this!!?? [​IMG]

8. Moselle

Jan 17, 2008
    Definitely not! And you should hear the soothing talk I have with them while checking their little behinds..."It's OK Fluffy. I know it's disconcerting and a bit embarrassing. I'll be done in a jiffy. Oh, yes, there you go...looking good this evening. There's a good chick, now...all done. Here's a little oatmeal treat for you..." [​IMG]

9. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Oh you should have seen the look on my dear hubbys face once when I asked him to hold a hen for me while I checked her vent for egg bound.... lol..."I can't believe I'm standing here holding this chicken and doing this!!"...I said well..It could be worse.....I could be holding the chicken and you have your fingers up her bum looking for an egg [​IMG] [​IMG]

Never know what your going to get into with chickens that's for sure!!.....

10. Moselle

Jan 17, 2008
    [​IMG] Love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by