Nervous about McMurray order

LVchicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 28, 2013
I ordered my chicks from McMurray because I heard over and over how great they were. Now I am having second thoughts.
I have looked at Ideal and they are here in TX and I know the chicks would be far less stressed as the journey would be a fraction of the one from IA.

Should I cancel my McMurray order and order from Ideal?

Opinions?

If it isn't too late, cancel the order. The less shipping distance, the better. If Texas isn't far then you might consider Privett. They are in New Mexico. I haven't had good stock from either hatcheries you mentioned. Others may have different opinions.

I just plugged in all the details. I can order all the same chicks from Ideal, cost less and it is a whopping 2 1/2 truck ride from my house to the hatchery. The would probably be hatched one day and in my home the next.

At this point someone would have to convince me that ordering from McMurray is worth the risk.

I had the same issue but mine was that I ordered from eFowl and then found out the Ideal was closer, MUCH closer, they were a bit cheaper(Not much) and their customer service is better, they have better stock and my order will be shipped on the 6th of Feb.

I just plugged in all the details. I can order all the same chicks from Ideal, cost less and it is a whopping 2 1/2 truck ride from my house to the hatchery. The would probably be hatched one day and in my home the next.

At this point someone would have to convince me that ordering from McMurray is worth the risk.

Do what you want. Just a note. All my Gold sex links from ideal were gone within 2 years from prolapse and reproductive deformities. Once I get bad stock, I don't do business with that person or business ever again, and it is only my duty to warn others.

Last edited:
If it isn't too late, cancel the order. The less shipping distance, the better. If Texas isn't far then you might consider Privett. They are in New Mexico. I haven't had good stock from either hatcheries you mentioned. Others may have different opinions.
Not more options!!
barnie.gif

Seriously, I'll take a look. Thx.

And I appreciate the warning, Michael.

I have no horse in this race other than wanting live chicks. This is my first time out and I have had people tell me yes mcmurray, no mcmurray, yes ideal, no ideal, yes local feed store, no local feed store......
it seems it is easy to find good and bad experiences easily with all hatcheries.
Ideal is appealing because it is so close and that is what tips my order, this time, in their favor.

I ordered from McMurray back in Feb of last year for an April order. I also got an order from Ideal in Sept. I live in Maine.
As far as Ideal I will never buy from them again. For me their chicks were very much inferior to McMurrays chicks. I didn't lose one chick or even an adult chicken from McMurray(*****actually I did lose an adult chicken I thought I deleted this but I missed it). But I lost several from Ideal, 3 DOA(could have been that when they sent them from TX they opened all the breathing holes) 1 within 2 days than another 2 at 2 weeks one never grew past a week old size. Also the chicks I kept from Ideal have not thrived very well at all, they are all still very small. I had also ordered 2 Russian Orloffs for my order that I didn't get-I get sometimes hatches don't go well but I only ordered 2 not like I ordered 10. But I know a lot of people don't share in my experience, a lot of people say they are good, but for me I will not try them again. But they did give me my money back no questions asked on all the DOA's.

As far as McMurray goes I think they are great, I am buying from them again this spring. I would definitely get the gro-gel if you are getting them right now it helps with the shipping stress. One thing I was disappointed with was I bought 10 Blue laced Wyandottes and the only ones that turned out blue were the roosters, which we ate. But that is more luck of the draw than anything. Also I thought that the Salmon Faverolles were small but I bought one from a breeder and it ended up being the same size, if anything I think the coloring from McMurray was way better than the coloring from the breeder. I did lose one chicken, it was a Dominique, she started to lay and got egg bound. We think that when my husband tried to help get the egg out it must have broken in her. I had bought 5 EE's and I had wanted all different colors but they were all the same, I contacted them and they said next time just ask up front and they would give different colors. Last April the average from McMurray to Maine it was low 40s and like I said they arrived well- shipped on 4/21 received on 4/23, all were active. I personally don't like to have chicks in the mail under 40 degrees it would seem too cold for my taste, I wait until April myself. But you are in Texas and it probably never gets to 40(i have no clue really as I have lived in Maine my whole life and Texas is almost a world away from here
big_smile.png
).

I would just try to keep an eye on the temps in IA if you are concerned if you decide to stay with McMurray. But if you can drive to a hatchery that is closer to you in both temperature and distance, I love McMurray, but it is probably the move that makes more sense-although I still have a hard time believing Ideal has decent stock.

Last edited:
I've gotten chicks from Ideal.. wasn't happy with them at all.. they were weak and there were a couple of dead ones in the box.. Ideal DID NOT include any extras to cover the dead chicks. Sure they arrived fast.. but the chicks just weren't very strong to start with.

I prefer Cackle Hatchery.. this year I am planning on making an order with Whelp Hatchery since I have never ordered from them before and they have a few breeds I have been wanting.

Never had a problem with massive losses due to the heat because I try to make a point of ordering when the weather is a little "cooler"... so here in Texas that's usually May or early June as the latest for spring orders.

Back
Top Bottom