Nervous about moving chicks to garage

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kklowell, Apr 3, 2018.

1. kklowell

kklowell Songster

Mar 2, 2018
    Bridgton, Maine
    My chicks are between 2.5- 3 weeks old, but two seem to be much younger. We bought two groups of six a week apart, and two of them look as old as the original six, two are almost as feathered and two only have feathers on the outer half of their wings. They are currently in a metal stock tank with a heat lamp on one end and about one foot above it
    I'd like to move them to a much bigger enclosure in my garage. There's no heat out there, so I'd still use the light. I'd build the enclosure in a corner so I'd only need to make one side and an end. The floor is concrete, so I'd put cardboard down and then use Klean Koop and shavings as bedding. The issue I have with doing this is our night time temps are still pretty cold, and will be going down to 16F this week. Daytimes are low 40's up to mid-50's. There's not likely to be much change in that over the next month.
    So, should I do it? I need them to have more space and the chicken dust is going to be a bigger issue over the next few weeks because they do a lot more wing flapping now.

2. WhiteWyan

WhiteWyan Songster

May 17, 2017
    Ulster Park
    You have a heat lamp, so they should be fine I think. Just make sure the temp is appropriate under the lamp. They won't be outside, I'm sure as long as the garage isn't too drafty they will be fine. Just make sure you don't have any running cars in the garage or any Teflon type light bulbs (the shatter resistant type) in the garage.

3. kklowell

kklowell Songster

Mar 2, 2018
    Bridgton, Maine
    I couldn't get a running moped in my garage! One whole side is my woodworking shop, and the other side where the pen would be is mostly storage at this point.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    ArborChicks likes this.
  4. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I agree with @WhiteWyan that the chicks will be fine. They would benefit from a couple days of pre-acclimatizing, though. All you need to do is let them spend a few hours in the garage on the first day, with a lamp if it's below freezing, returning them to the indoor brooder when you notice them chilling. Then do the same the next day, but for twice as long. After that, they should be good to move into the garage around the clock.

5. debid

debid Crowing

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    They don't need acclimitization when you're providing a heat lamp.

I routinely put tiny babies in an outdoor brooder with a heat source and haven't yet had one too stupid to use said heat source. Back when I used lamps, I used a 175w and a 100w. Not at the same time, the 175 was too hot for anything but the coldest weather and the youngest chicks. I got the 100 because they'd often be in the cool end panting. It's really hard to work with small containers. Now, I use a heating pad hen (50W) and it's still plenty of heat even when the thermometer is in the teens. You'd probably be amazed at how they don't spend all of their time keeping warm and how they choose to play outside even on freezing cold days.

6. kklowell

kklowell Songster

Mar 2, 2018
    Bridgton, Maine
    They are now in their garage brooder... which must feel like the great outdoors to them. They went from a stock tank to a box that is 3.5 feet by 6.5 feet. I have the heat lamp on one end. I'm anxious to see how they are when I go out there again in an hour or so.
    Yes, I did take some pics.

Attached Files:

azygous, WhiteWyan and debid like this.
  7. kklowell

kklowell Songster

Mar 2, 2018
    Bridgton, Maine
    I've brought them back in for the night. It's raining so I figured I'd not leave them in the cold garage tonight with the wet weather.

WhiteWyan and azygous like this.
  8. barn206

barn206 Songster

May 4, 2017
    Upstate ny
    Suggestion;
    Get a 2x4x8’ and cut it in half. Attach one piece to the studs and the other piece to the outside wall - 2 ‘ off the ground. Bolt it in good.
    Cut a 4’x4’ sheet of plywood in half.
    The first piece you attach permanently to the 2 sides where your heat lamp will be. Drill a hole in the miiddle and bring the wire and the metal of your heat lamp through the hole. Secure the metal hanger part and ZIPTIE the wire to a secured eye bolt. ( your creating a permanent roof). Next place the second piece of plywood next to the attached piece. Do not nail that piece in because you will want to move it when you clean,feed and change the water. You will create enough heat in that corner. I live upstate ny and my chicks are one week old n doing great. Last night it was 20 degrees and they are thriving.
    If you ever make a permanent brooder(2’x2’x6’long which is what I have) make a screen roof and on top of that roof have 2 pieces of wood or metal that move so you can adjust how much heat stays in and how much heat gets out. You’ll know how to maneuver the boards depending on how far the chick are away from the heat. If they are not huddled under the lamp.. then you are in good shape. Good luck

9. barn206

barn206 Songster

May 4, 2017
    Upstate ny
    One last thing, you can always raise the lamp to how you see fit. You may want it to be 18 inches from the floor.. that’s fine as well as long as they are not jumping over one another to stay warm
    Hope this helps. Just an idea.

10. gator75

gator75 Songster

Aug 25, 2012
    Cut the cord..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: