Nervous about new neighbors' dogs & 3 yo

JennsPeeps

Rhymes with 'henn'
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
South Puget Sound
(apologies for typos - typing w/ dilated eyes)

We live next to a rental. the previous tenants moved out about 2 weeks ago. They had a massive wolf/malamute hybrid, Jax. Jax scared me but I learned to trust that he would never come into my yard. He liked to watch the chickens and I have no doubt he would have gladly dispatched each of them. He also liked to bark at them to watch them freak - the chicken coop is on that side of the property.
roll.png

The new tenants just moved in last weekend. I met the hubbie today and he seems really nice. They're got 3 kids & 2 dogs, one is a Weimereiner-greyhound mix & the other is a poofy something or other mix... teddy bear-malamute-pomm??

Both bark. A lot, oy vey.

Both also like to watch the chickens. And bark. A lot. The fence between our property is a 4' tall rickety old picket fence held together with wire and dog collars (I'm serious). YIKES. I let the girls out today and went out when I heard the dogs barking. There's Nugget, the RIR who likes to attack my kitties, challenging the Weimereiner through the picket fence. Darn dog had her nose through the fence and Nugget was trying to figure out how to attack the brown schnooz. This is the same bird who recently attacked my female cat, hackles up, claws forward, tufts of fur flying. Nugget won, let's just say.

Me:
th.gif
Birds: back into the run & no FR-ing for them.

(What is is about birds named Nugget? Fesity little things!!)

I promised the new tenants eggs when we get more and asked for their help/assurance that their dogs stay on their side. SUBTLE HINT: your dogs kill the chickens and no eggs for you! the husband was going to put some wire mesh up on their side to plug spaces between the pickets. He also offered to chat with the owner about the fence. I'm going to offer to do the labor of building a new fence if the landlord buys the materials.

Their 3 yo daughter is really excited about the "chickies". Our other fence is tall enough to keep her out, so I'm hopeful we won't have a wee unsupervised visitor who wants to hold/feed chickies. She was standing on said rickety fence earlier and givng me a heart attack that it would fall, she would get hurt, dogs would invade, chickens would run, and dogs would attack.

Soooo, I'm just feeling nervous about my girls' safety.

Good fences DO make good neighbors!!

Considering the new folks are willing to fortify the fence for now and talk to the owner about putting up a good one I would be very happy to have them as neighbors.

A more solid fence will likely reduce barking also.

It sounds like the new neighbors are very willing to compromise and realize that their dog could be a possible danger. It might be time to invest in some hardware cloth for your run, too.

As for the three-year-old, little kids can get into everything. How about putting some padlocks on the doors to your coop and run?

Good luck with the new fence, too! If you replace it, maybe you can get the old wood to (um) make a second coop!
smile.png

Last edited:
Since you don't know these new dogs yet maybe you shouldn't let them free range unattended until the new fence repairs are done, just to be safe and some simple locks for the youngen. Its better to be safe than sorry.

Quote:
My previous neigbors, before I moved, bought one of these against my dogs. I never even knew about it til I noticed the blinking light on their deck one night. The dogs certainly never skipped a beat, and never barked any less.

A weim X greyhound dog is a chicken owner's nightmare! Both breeds are very aggressive hunters of small animals, it is hardwired into them (in the case of the greyhound side, for thousands of years). They're great animals, just very dangerous around poultry and other small animals. Thank your lucky stars that the owners understand the danger and are going to work on the fence, but I'd recommend doing your part to secure your birds, too, even if it means building a big run for them. I'm not sure that patching the rickety fence with wire mesh would be enough to contain a determined hunting dog who is tortured by the sight of little feathery animals running around making tantalizing noises all day, right in front of his eyes!

I just looked out the window to see Nugget giving the Weim mix the stink eye through the fence. Nugget thinks she's in charge. Dogs are relatively quiet.

I'm headed to the pet store today to buy a clicker and dog treats. I'm going to work on training their dogs to not bark when they see me or the girls. That's a start.

Back
Top Bottom