Nervous about silkies -- advice?

thewatsonfarm

Songster
8 Years
Mar 22, 2015
Orange County, California
I'm ordering just five baby chicks to add to our small flock. I've always wanted silkies, and I thought I'd get two (thinking it'd be better than one, in case they get picked on in the flock). But since they're hard to sex as chicks, I could end up with two roosters. Ugh! I don't really want any roosters, but I could tolerate one. It sounds like two would be problematic. Anyone have experience with two silkie roos? If they grow up together, and their flock is all bigger hens, will they be okay together? I worry that it would be heartbreaking to have to rehome one. What should I do?

You can get sexed Silkies from My Pet Chicken, though mistakes do happen.

I have only 1 rooster (I lucked out - 3 straight run chicks from the feed store, and I got 2 Silkie pullets). But I've heard that on *occasions* cockerels raised together can get along. Occasionally. Depending a lot on the birds' personalities and such.

I wouldn't stress about it the silkies will do fine in a mixed flock. Now I free range them all so there is always somewhere they can escape if kept cooped you might run into issues. Currently I have 8 roosters in the flock with nearly 15-20 hens. The majority are there for stupid reasons plus silkies just sneak off to go broody all the time and you think something must have gotten them. 21 days later now you know why. I will worry about craigslist rehoming my roosters soon enough as they sure do crow all night. And I do not want to see the hens getting overmated.

Last edited:
Loud is not good. I already have a crazy Australorpe who thinks she's got to wake the neighborhood at dawn. We live in the 'burbs & our neighbors have been great, but I'm not looking to rock the boat.

Silkies can be sexed, though? Somewhat reliably?

Loud is not good. I already have a crazy Australorpe who thinks she's got to wake the neighborhood at dawn. We live in the 'burbs & our neighbors have been great, but I'm not looking to rock the boat.

As reliably as others, afaik. My Pet Chicken is the only place I know that sells them sexed. They sell out fast, too, because of it.

Sexed silkies are only offered by My Pet Chicken. Those that have reported here on MPCs bantam sexing have said they have been accurate.

However it will cost you. MPCs straight run silkies are $6.50. Sexed pullets are an additional $22. If you are getting a small order on top of that the shipping will also be expensive.

MPCs silkies are close to selling out specific varieties so if it's something you are seriously considering and you want a particular color you may want to order soon. Assorted silkies are available as early as May.

Back
Top Bottom