Nervous about the newest introduction..

Minnie417

Chirping
Aug 24, 2019
We have 4 pullets who will be 10 weeks old this weekend.. And hoping to introduce them to our 2 hens soon. We still keep them separated but they have seen each other quite a few times. I attached a picture of the set up how they can see each other. The older two we let roam in the yard, so the first few times they saw the chicks through the cage they really couldn’t care less. The other day I put the screen door in the middle so that the big girls could walk out from the run and be up close next to the pullets. They peck hard and jump chest first at the pullets through the screen which could be completely normal but also makes me nervous as this will be our first time introducing chickens to one another. When did you let them actually be together with nothing blocking between? I’ve read a lot but hearing other peoples experiences helps.

Attachments

• 9B145CB1-04C9-4CE4-ABBE-AF79C812101F.jpeg
    9B145CB1-04C9-4CE4-ABBE-AF79C812101F.jpeg
    656.1 KB · Views: 8
My first introduction with my last batch of chicks was at 10 days old (limited periods with supervision) and 15 days old (unlimited and without supervision). Doesn't help with your situation as I set up specifically to do that.

Yours are at an awkward age to introduce because they're way too big to do chick sized doors (to provide the chicks with safe spaces), yet small enough that they can't really stand up to the hens either. So I'd suggest cluttering up the run a bit more before you try introducing, as hiding places work for birds of all ages and sizes: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Back
Top Bottom