nervous chick mom needs advice

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by herefordlovinglady, Sep 8, 2009.

1. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    Hey all. Well it finally happened one of my game hens has come home with 10 babies. I got in from vacation and there they were. We live on a farm and have not used any kind of coops. they are free range and go just about anywhere they want. Our cats do not bother the big hens or roo, but these little babies have their curiosity up. I already had to go out into the woods and rescue a baby from a stray gray cat that hangs around. So after that i herded the mom and babies into the garage and shut the door. I put feed for her and water. My question, do i need to take the babies from mom and put them in something with a light? I have a big water trough that I can keep in the garage and keep them heated and fed properly. I guess mom can stay in there, but does she need to? O'my this is so exciting for me. I just want to be sure I take good care of them all.[​IMG]

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    The mama will keep them warm, but the cats are a problem. Can you rig a pen outside, with food and water, a doghouse perhaps for shelter? Something the cats can't get into?

3. herefordlovinglady

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    I know, I have a calf hut that i can put a door on, I also have a large dog crate about 5 x 4 x 4, the problem there is the chick can slip through the holes, I will buy some small chicken wire and put around it. Did not even think about something so simple. thanks for the help.

4. herefordlovinglady

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    one other thing -- what about feed. i have scratch feed and layer mash do i need to get something special for the babies?[​IMG]

5. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    You should put them on chick starter feed. They have medicated and non medicated, medicated is to aid in prevention of coccidiosla (sp). They are normaly feed this 0-8 weeks old. You don't want them eating the layer because it can harm them with all the extra calcium.

Chicks are so exciting!!! [​IMG]

6. herefordlovinglady

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    great!!! -- so how should i keep moms food and babies food separate? [​IMG]

7. newchickmom09

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    You don't want the chicks eating moms food until they are laying or about to lay. Keep the food raised high enough where only mom can get it.

After the starter you put the chicks on grower (9-20 weeks old) until they are laying or about to lay.

From what I understand mom can eat which ever food is with the chicks. Just offer some of her food also and some oyster shell (if she starts laying again soon)..just keep it out of reach of the little ones.

8. herefordlovinglady

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    thanks for the help. my hubby and i got out and built a coop last night to put mom and babies. of course, i am worried sick that the cats will figure out a way to get in. it is only a temporary fix until i get my real coop he plans to build me. i have pictures....he he....

we raise cattle and i know with cattle the bull shouldn't bread his mother, daughters or sisters (unless you really do some line breeding). Is it the same with chicks? do i need to start finding a home for my roo? and if in the 10 chicks i have a roo does he need a new home?

9. newchickmom09

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    we raise cattle and i know with cattle the bull shouldn't bread his mother, daughters or sisters (unless you really do some line breeding). Is it the same with chicks? do i need to start finding a home for my roo? and if in the 10 chicks i have a roo does he need a new home?

You should ask this in the Breeds, Genetics, and Showing forum here is the link:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=14
    I have no idea on that one...haven't learned that much yet. [​IMG]

OOOO...I would love to see pics! My cat loves to go in the chicken run and play with the chicks, it is like noahs ark here.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by