Nervous chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by oscar chicken, Jan 23, 2014.

1. oscar chicken

oscar chicken New Egg

Jan 23, 2014
    Hi I have a question, something got into my girls run and attacked and killed 1 of them. Since then we have fixed anything and everything so nothing can get in but 1 of my girls has stopped laying and is very nervous, she has always been very lovey dovey , now she runs from me. When I do pick her up she is fine very sweet. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks so much

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about the chick you lost. When something happens that really scares or upsets the chickens they can take a long time to get back to normal. I would just try to make friends with her again, use treats to get her to come to you, sit on the ground at her level, try not to chase her or do anything that scares her more etc. Stress like an attack can also make them stop laying and throw them into a molt, so it may be a while before she starts laying again.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    She probably witnessed the predator attack - it can take a long while before she gets over it.

4. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sounds normal to me, hade the same problems before [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lock um up tight the predators are watching [​IMG]

5. oscar chicken

oscar chicken New Egg

Jan 23, 2014
    Thanks so much, I thought the same thing, I am being super gentle with her, we just got 3 new chicks, we are raising them inside till they are big enough to go in with my 2 big girls, question if my nervous girl is still off will the new ones start acting like her?

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Yes, it does take time. And as Kelsie has mentioned, it will help to sit with them in the run quietly everyday, letting them know it is ok to let their feathers down again. Don't move fast around them and just give them some time.

Good luck with all your babies and enjoy BYC!

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Generally birds follow the flock leader. So what ever she/he is doing, that is most likely how the new birds will act. :)

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. oscar chicken

oscar chicken New Egg

Jan 23, 2014
    Love this group you have been so helpful

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by