Nervous! Don't want a disappointed Birthday Girl!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ContessaKris, Jul 13, 2011.

1. ContessaKris

ContessaKris Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Grandview (SKC), MO
    I am setting 12+ eggs for the first time on Friday (they should arrive in the mail tomorrow.) Waiting until then so dd can help. She gets home from camp then.

We're very excited to have our first chickens, I'm just worried that something will go wrong and I'll kill them. I've been struggling with incubator problems for a week now, although I finally think I have it fixed. (See new homemade incubator on my BYC Page, scroll down.)

I just realized today that the 21st day they're incubated and should be hatching will be dd's 12th birthday. OH my goodness. Talk about pressure! [​IMG]

For our first chicken experience we went with a mix of RIR, BO, BR, EE and BLRW. Hoping we get at least one of each and no Roos (a girl can dream, right?!)

What Eggs were your very first and how did it go? (I'm almost afraid to ask this question as I'm going to hear horror stories, aren't I?! [​IMG]

2. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Well you always have horror stories and then you have the ones like the chicken cpr and shock collar. That was classic.

Do your best and hope for the best. Out under the hen the conditions aren't perfect. with the way our weather is I'm shocked we can ever get anything to hatch grow etc etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by