Nervous Duck-Mom-to-be

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DanceswLabs, Oct 8, 2010.

1. DanceswLabs

DanceswLabs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    My 10 Runner eggs are supposed to hatch on the 12th. They seem to be developing well....nice air space.....movement, etc. However, I noticed a couple of them pushing into to the airspace today. I can tell that they are still in the membrane, because it looks like they are kicking under a blanket. It has made me a little nervous. Is this normal? Are they getting ready to pip. And if so, are we close enough to the due date that they will likely be ok?

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I always see movement at the base of the air cell. I like the way you describe it as looking like kicking under a blanket...Very cute to picture the little ones doing that. By this stage they are all tucked up with not much room to move- but seeing what you have is a very positive sign that they are getting ready to hatch.

I can see that kind of movement as much as a week before they actually hatch. Only very slight at first- but by the time they go into lockdown- that is what I look for to ensure the baby is still alive. Of course- if they are positioned wrong in the egg- you may not see any movement there- so its not always an accurate way of telling which eggs are still alive. They can take 48 hours or pore from breaking into the aircell til they hatch- so dont worry about them being way to early.

3. DanceswLabs

DanceswLabs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    Thanks! I can't believe how nervous I am over ducklings, but these are my first. They are still trying to kick their blankies off this morning. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by