Nervous first night in the coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AllisonK, Jun 26, 2008.

1. AllisonK

AllisonK Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2008
    Sorry if this is the wrong spot. Its coop related but not really building so I did not think it would go there. Feel free to direct me to the right spot if its not. [​IMG]

Our girls are in their coop for the first time tonight. We finished it about an hour ago. We still need to shingle the roof but its not gonna rain so thats okay. I am sooooo nervous because we have not had time to make the run yet so they are not enclosed with a fence. Anyone else nervous the first time they put their girls out? I keep thinking did I put enough nails, screws in it? Is the door tight enough? I know we have possums and last night something tried to scratch through the wood to get to them. We had them in half the coop pushed against the house with heavy items all the way around to keep them safe. The cat thinks they would be a tasty treat too. He keeps circling and sitting there twitching he knows they are in there! Ackk I am not going to sleep at all!

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    The "first night out" is always the worst for me...Skip tells me I suffer from seperation anxiety whenever I move chicks outside.

And he's right! It's so easy to check on them when I have them in our indoor brooder. Whenever I first move some chicks outside, I spend the first night making several flashlight trips just to assure myself that they are fine. Skip gets a good laugh because I'm always more upset about the move than the birds are.

How are you and the chicks doing today? [​IMG]

Dawn

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by