Nervous Nellie thread....come and join me!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Alaska animal lover, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Alaska animal lover

Alaska animal lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Palmer, Alaska
    I have my first hatch ever on day 15. So far so good, I started out with 30 standard eggs and 6 bantams. I am down to 27 standard and 4 bantam after tossing the ones that never started or just stopped developing.
    I have the genesis 1588 w/ auto turner and so far everything is working great. I am just so nervous that I will get to the last day and nothing will hatch.

Any other nervous nellies? I know there is the pipping thread, but I'm not that close yet.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Take a hint from your avatar and relax and enjoy! They will be fine - barring any real catastropies like the dog eating the incubator, or a 4 day power outage!

Now I've given you something ELSE to worry about, havent' I??

3. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    i'm a nervous wreck too. i had temp spikes yesterday and it took me all day to get it under control. i hope i didn't cook them. i'm so nervous about day 18 and hatch time.

4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Quote:Well, you don't LOOK too nervous [​IMG] (avatar)

It can be nerve wracking, but generally and barring major events, it's pretty easy.... try not to get too worried.....

says the woman that has been freaking out for the last 3 days! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Easier said than done.... do as I say, not as I do! [​IMG]

5. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Sounds like you have a very efficient incubator...

Think about when a broody hen sets on eggs in this hot weather..you know the temp. can go higher than what we incubate... And they still hatch...

Sometimes they stay off the nest a little longer than you think they should and eggs cool down...they still hatch....

my duck hen would stand up over her eggs in the hottest part of day ...
    funny she knew that even without a beginners manual..

6. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Ok, I will join you. This is our first time in the incubator and with eggs from ebay (yes read all the negative threads) and I have no idea if I am doing this right! I am on day 14. From what I can tell from candling they are all solid masses and cannot see through any of them. I have had my share of spiked temps and had to rush out for a new incubator. The one my friend loaned me died and we had a mess. I did buy the egg turner, but do not have a humidty gauge. So we will see if anything happens. Nervous yes, but what the heck. At least we are trying. My daughter's are more excited then ever and I really hope for a hatch for them.

7. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Ok I'll join you. I have eggs in and I'm on day 12. These are not my eggs I'm doing them for someone else. I'm a nervous wreck. [​IMG] I used gloves when I candled them so not to touch them with my hands. I put the water in with a tube so I don't have to open the bator. DAY 12 OM goodness I only had 9 days left. [​IMG]

8. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:You could go to Wal Mart, if you have one around you [​IMG] and by the light bulbs they sell, well I don't know what they call them, but for less then $10.00 you would be able to buy one and put it in your bator to check your humidty.

9. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    That is a great idea! Wow, now where to find a Wal-Mart!? [​IMG] (Actually heading there now to fill prescriptions.) Hope this thread turns out full of baby hatchlings from all of us!

10. Alaska animal lover

Alaska animal lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Palmer, Alaska
    [​IMG]
    Misery loves company!

[​IMG] Good Luck! I'm sure I will need some too.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by