Nervous new Barnevelder

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 5C2k1H, Oct 21, 2013.

1. 5C2k1H

5C2k1H New Egg

Oct 20, 2013
    Hi All,

I am new to keeping chickens and am already having problems:(

I picked up 2 Barnevelder pullets (approx 10 wks old) 2 weeks ago and they just seem so unhappy. They have a smallish hen house and run but a 30sqm free range area but they just spend all of their time either in the hen house nesting boxes or in a corner under a bush. They only come out when one of us is around. Their area is fairly close to a road so I was wondering could they be scared of the traffic noise, although the road isn't that busy.
    I am planning on getting 2 Faverolles to keep them company but cannot pick them up for another 2 weeks but I don't know if I can watch my 2 gorgeous sad Barnies for another 2 weeks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Helen

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! It sounds like they are scared to come outside. Try and tempt them out with treats and spend some time with them outside, when you can. I've had the same problem with some battery hens I bought a few years ago. Took weeks before they started free ranging by themselves. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

loud noises syress them, try a quieter location if there is a lot of road noise
    Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve.[​IMG]

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

You could cover the sides of the run on one or two sides to make them feel more secure.

5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Agree it mostly just sounds like they are scared to come outside because they aren't used to it. Young chickens often don't like open areas, especially if you have hawks flying around. You might try and give them a little more cover.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. 5C2k1H

5C2k1H New Egg

Oct 20, 2013
    Thanks guys for your advice...a big help to a newbie!!!
    I have provided them with a lot more cover...we had lots of fun moving all the kids old cubby houses into their area and joining them with various panels.
    That helped a lot. However the miracle came when I bought them 2 new buddies, an 8 week old Australorp and a 10wk old Faverolles. The Australorp immediately became their best mate and she is much braver than the Barnies. They are now out foraging around, although they are still very nervous and flighty but I can cope with that for they are much happier.
    Now I have to think what to do with my darling Faverolles....I didn't know that they don't mix well with other breeds and although she doesn't get picked on she just roams around on her own and tries to roost outside the coop. Maybe I need a new faverolles friend for her too.....is this how owning a big flock begins:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by