Nervous Newbie - one more question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mommahen5578, Apr 1, 2017.

1. mommahen5578

mommahen5578 New Egg

Apr 1, 2017
    I am a little confused about the humidity...everything is supposed to be pre-set in the incubator (it is a Hova-bator 1588). I was told to just add water to the Trough #1 and that is what I have been doing. Humidity has ranged from high 40's - to about 50%. I understand I am supposed to get the humidity higher during lock-down. Can I just add water to one more trough? The instructions are not clear to me. Sorry to bother you, but I just want to do this right! :)

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Yes you can add to the next trough too for the hatch. Some people---including me-----do not want the humidity 40 to 50% the first 18 days(chicken)so I would lesson the water surface in the center trough to lower the humidity-----even empty it for a day to see what the humidity is dry(no water). If its to low you can cover say 1/2 of the center tray with tin foil or use a flat stone to lay in the center trough a little taller than the water height. Good Luck

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  3. silkie1472

silkie1472 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2016
    During lock down, you do add water to the other trough. In Hovabators, I believe there are two large troughs. One is labeled 1, the other two. Then there are smaller troughs. What I have done is when I fill up trough 2, I come back around 2 hours later and check on the humidity. If it is still low, I will add water to the smaller troughs.

To quickly raise the humidity, I put a wet sponge in the incubator. Hope this helps!

4. mommahen5578

mommahen5578 New Egg

Apr 1, 2017
    I have seen many people say they put the eggs in dry...I was told 50% humidity was just right, and we have had it at that all along so there isn't anything I can do at this point. I will add some more water to trough 2 and check on it. Thanks so much--I am so nervous! :0

5. silkie1472

Dec 28, 2016
    50% is a good humidity for hatching, but only for some breeds/species. Chicken breeds with thicker shells or larger eggs may require higher humidity, and even bantams as they may be weaker. Species such as ducks and geese usually do require high humidity as their shells are thick, extremely thick for some.

6. AshleyMarie17

AshleyMarie17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Southern Alabama
    I have read where the humidity isn't necessary until the last three days or when the first pips. That they'll need the humidity then but it's not important in the beginning. I'm new to incubating as well and I'm thankful to everyone here for asking questions and giving answers. It has helped me tremendously!

7. silkie1472

Dec 28, 2016
    Humidity is not a "necessity" during the first part of incubation, as many use a dry incubation method, but sometimes it helps eggs lose more moisture -- essential when hatching chicks.

8. AshleyMarie17

AshleyMarie17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Southern Alabama
    I didn't worry about humidity until lockdown. Mine went in the 20's 30's 40's...All the way up until day 18 when I tried to keep it a bit higher. I'm on day 19 and have four pips. We worry way too much about every little detail when it comes to our chickies lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by